Chapter V - A Fate Worse Than Death

╣╠

"I want you to know that if I can't be close to you

I settle for the ghost of you

I miss you more than life."

Ghost

Justin Bieber

╣╠

Chapter V - A Fate Worse Than Death

╣╠

"I missed chess club

"I missed chess club." Edmund frowned, inspecting a solid gold chess piece that he could in the dirt.

"We missed much more than that." Peter corrected, tripping over a tree branch that shouldn't have been in the middle of our throne room.

In a year we had gone from decorating the ballrooms with flowers to seeing flowers budding in the granite. Our home back in England and our home in Narnia had been attacked. Wars had a way of following us through dimensions. And I had a feeling a battle was on the horizon. Peter needed a place to throw his fist... and he just had to find the right excuse to put it somewhere.

Susan swatted flies around her head, "You can make a chess club back in England."

"Everything is gone," I spoke softly, still barely believing it as the words came out of my mouth.

"This didn't just happen. Cair Paravel was attacked." Peter stated, circling a large boulder that would not have been brought as an offering to the royals. Peter looked around, trying to put together our home in his mind, his eyes traced the outline of the thrones, then his head turned to a cavern behind where my throne used to be. He walked over, pulling back the secret slab of stone, revealing a door. My feet froze in the dirt, more scared now than I was when I first entered Narnia. The catacombs doors. I never returned to the burial place after Ashton's death. My body was protecting me from my greatest despair.

"Don't suppose you have any matches, do you?" Peter asked, ripping his shirt and wrapping it around a large stick. My vocal cords took the same abandoned route as the rest of my limbs.

I should have gone the other way. My eyes caught Edmunds, I knew he saw my fear. In all the ways that fear stopped me, it lit a fire in Edmund. He needed to know the answer that I could not bear. He needed to know if our loved ones had joined the list to be mourned.

He reached into his bag, pulling out a flashlight. "No, but...would this help?"

Peter scrunched his nose, making his voice higher as he repeated Ed's words. "Would this help?"

Susan chuckled, leaving Edmund to roll his eyes like the true professional he is. He walked over to me, giving me a nod of reassurance before grabbing my hand.