Chapter XIV - Benevolent Benvolio

╣╠

"I don't think that I can live without you

But if I don't die tonight I think I'll have to."

tmrw

Jake Cornell

╣╠

Chapter XIV - Benevolent Benvolio

╣╠

Sirens blared through the town

Sirens blared through the town. I swore colorfully. I was so sure no one saw us leave. For someone to discover them missing this early would mean that someone checked the dungeons moments after we left. Ashton was no use like this. She didn't have any means of physical or magical defense. She readjusted my grip on my back every few seconds. I could feel my breathing becoming more and more irregular.

I found the gate that the boy that had unlocked them had spoken about, but it was still down. Locking them in. Surely no rescue operation could be this ill-planned? He could barely call it a rescue after the idiot barely agreed to save them. We really should have thanked the old man who occupied their neighboring cell.

We had no choice but to hide. I found the horse's stables, just before the gate. I tucked the both of us into its darkest corner. We waited for a few minutes- it could have been more, I was more focused on keeping Ashton conscious. The only thing I could hear was the running of boots. Then the slashing and chime of knives followed. A battle. One that they were not involved in and hope to keep it that way. A battle today would mean a coffin tomorrow.

"We will wait it out, the battle will thin on both sides, and then we will have a better chance," I assured her. She looked around but never made eye contact with me.

"Ben. I'm..." She breathed out, forcing herself to take the deepest breaths I could. "I- I can't see anything."

"You're sight will come back, once you'll health improves," I said to her but prayed to Aslan.

I had never been involved in religion. Yet, in the past week, I have prayed every night when she is asleep. I prayed that she was being put through all this suffering for a purpose. Because she had the power and will could make it through. He spoke to Aslan as if he were in the cell with us, asking after everything I had done for Narnia to reward me with my life. I even stooped so low as to ask the White Witch for whatever help she might be able to provide.

The clattering of the gate made me jump. I backed up against Ash, shielding her from the intruder. I heard every gate unlocking and freeing every horse. I ducked down, getting prepared to pounce on whoever was about to give away our hideaway.

He was getting closer now, clicking down the line of stalls, looking for something. Or someone. As soon as our door opened I jumped, even in my weakened state I took over the human and pinned him in seconds.