Chapter XVI - Heroes are Remembered, Legends Never Die

╣╠

"Really thought I'd be done with the hardest part

When I pulled myself out of your arms

Wish I knew that was only the start

And now I'm fallin' apart"

Feel Like Shit

Tate McRae

╣╠

Chapter XVI - Heroes are Remembered, Legends Never Die

╣╠

Her eyes were only quiet for a second

Her eyes were only quiet for a second. Then she recognized her surroundings. She was off the hospital bed before I could even stop her in hopes of preserving her energy.

"Ash. You're okay, you're with the Narnians. You're safe."

She stared at me. For a second it was like I was seeing her at the top of the frozen waterfall all over again. Her features were hard and every muscle inched for a fight.

"Ash, love, it's me. I know this is-"

She vaulted over the bed tackling me onto the floor. My ears filled with the heavenly charm of her giggle. I pulled her close, holding and wanting to touch every bit of her that I thought I would never get to have again. Something so perfect seemed impossible to be true.

"I don't care how it's possible, just never let go." She beamed.

I held her tighter, "I'm never going to."

Ash pulled back to look at me. I saw those green eyes and wondered how they could ever slip my mind. She placed each of her hands on the side of my face, "I need you to know that I couldn't control her. I couldn't stop it. I had no other choice. I didn't want to go. I didn't want to leave-" Her worried voice was running faster than her tongue could keep up.

"It's okay, Ash. I know. I know." I said as I ran my hand through her hair, "Aslan, I missed you."

She pulled me in to kiss me. The scariest moment beyond this land was realizing I forgot what this felt like. To be undeniably devoted to a person, to be willing to do anything for just another smile, word, or kiss.

"I need you to promise me that you won't do it again. That you will put yourself first from now on."

She sighed. "We made the same knighting vows, Peter. You know we have to put Narnia above us."

"You have put Narnia first. You have put Narnia before yourself and your happiness enough time. You sacrificed everything already. Narnia is in debt to you." I tried to reason, "I am selfishly asking you to make our future a priority. In a world without you, all I could think of was all the opportunities that we missed. Ash, I'm begging that we don't miss another. I want to marry you, want to have kids with you, and raise them in a house filled with absorbent love. Grow old with me."