Chapter XXIV - Honorable Men

╣╠

"Doomsday is close at hand

I'll book the marching band to play as you speak

I'll feel like throwin' up

You'll sit and stare like a goddamn machine."

doomsday

Lizzy McAlpine

╣╠

Chapter XXV - Honorable Men

╣╠

Honor was a double-edged sword. Those who value their blade and nurture it pave the way for those that follow. All while making clean cuts. On the other hand, the blade directed itself to the front lines. To fight with honor was more dangerous than to fight without it. There was no guarantee beyond the morals of a man to keep such a trait. A sword in the back or a poisoned blade would not discriminate on the grounds of killing a man, honest or not.

Honor was what stood between the Narnians and Miraz.

Peter should have felt honored when Caspian came to him, requesting he takes the duel with Miraz instead. Caspian felt like he is not the best option. Likely an unexpected side effect of his lesson. Miraz knows him, knows his fighting style. He trained with him for years. Caspian will be better leading the troops, even I could admit.

He had showered me with compliments, urging me to take the position for the greater good. He claimed I was the best swordsman and for a second I felt lucky that he had not seen Edmund train. This is a responsibility that I would not let pass to my little brother, no matter how strong his sword hand.

But my honor was divided. Between the country that would not survive without me and the woman that I could not live without.

For the first time in far too long, the better half of my honor won. Though my first instinct was to accept, Ashton's blessing was necessary. There was no way to refrain from being selfish. I betray a vow either way. I spoke pleasantries towards his compliments but insisted on going right by my future.

There was no sugarcoating or dancing around the problem that wouldn't feel like a white lie so the next time I saw her, the words blurted out of me.

"Caspian asked for me to replace him as the champion." Ashton stopped in her tracks, an unreadable expression wearing down on her. "I made no promises until I spoke to you."

She took a deep breath, "If you fight, you're a hypocrite. If I don't let you fight, I'm one."

I walked over pulling her into my chest. Deep down I knew the answer before I asked. Ashton would not deny Narnia its best opportunity for survival. If she could heal her physical and mental pain, she would insist on doing it herself.

She looked up at me, poking her chin in my chest. "I've lost Ben, my father, Robin, Allie, and everyone that raised me. I will not watch you die. I won't allow it."

"I'm not going to." The words rolled off my tongue like a promise. But we knew better than to make oaths we might not keep.

"I'm serious, Peter. If it gets close, I will not let Miraz kill you." She spoke of treason. Since they met, she'd made so much advancement that no one could associate betrayal or disloyalty with her. Now, she was willing to throw it all away. I wanted something far better for her. I did not want to be the reason for the fall of the Saint. "That's my condition. You may fight, but you are not allowed to die."