Chapter XI - The Old Couple

╣╠

"Every long-lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart, they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road, that led me straight to you."

Bless the Broken Road

Rascal Flatts

╣╠

Chapter XI - The Old Couple

╣╠

Each step felt unbearably right as if there was a map in my hands

Each step felt unbearably right as if there was a map in my hands. Ashton's cloak floated around me and at this moment I felt closer to her than ever. It was the last piece of her I had. The only thing any of us had beyond memories. When I found it in my box, I considered if all of this was a dream. But this was real. I had gone to sleep and reawoken here. Narnia called me home.

I rounded a rock, hearing voices. I peeked over the side, instantly flinching back upon seeing a minotaur with a large axe strapped to his back. I reached for the dagger in my belt, only to remember that it had gone missing. Another thing that was on me when we left Narnia.

Peter came up beside me, seeing the enemy as well. He put his finger to his lips, telling me to stay quiet as he inched forward. I didn't want to doubt my brother, but he had no sword fighting experience in over a year. The closest he had been to swordplay was what he had seen in the cinemas. And he doesn't exactly have the same body full of full-grown muscle that he had when we left. His teenage body is missing a bit. Going after a minotaur was not the best choice for warming up.

I tried to pull him back but he keep creeping forward, unsheathing his sword. I wanted to yell out to stop his stupidity but that would ruin his element of surprise and therefore give him even less advantage.

A different yell stole what was left of our subtly. The war cry rang as the attacker thrust his body and sword towards Peter. I forced my yelp into containment with my hand, not letting my fear become a distraction as Peter whipped around to stop the blade from severing his arm. He grunted, locked in a standstill while leveling up this opponent. The boyish-looking man looked very similar in age to Peter. His face was twisted as he focused his gaze on Peter. All his features were dark. Dark hair, dark eyes, and a dark grin. In an unspeakable way I had only seen on Theo. His boy felt adrenaline in his veins and chased every morsel of it. To those looking without the art of understanding, it just comes off as arrogant. By the look on Peter's face, he wasn't appreciative of any form of cockiness.