Chapter XIX - Not for the King

╣╠

"So I thought that if I piled something good on all my bad

That I could cancel out the darkness I inherited from dad."

Stick Season

Noah Kahan

╣╠

Chapter XVIII - Not for the King

╣╠

Ashton came to our rooms late

Ashton came to our rooms late. By the look of her clothes and the sweat across her brow, she had decided to have an extra training session after her appointment with the medics. Which only added to my annoyance. But my eyelids were sliding and I didn't have the energy to fight that battle tonight.

Ever since she came back, I can not sleep if she is not next to me. My brain will keep me up all night. She had been in the bath for what felt like an eternity when she finally reemerged in sleepwear.

"My magic's getting stronger each day. It shouldn't a problem by the time for battle." She was so delighted to tell me as she jumped into bed.

"Ashton. Please, can we go to sleep?" I mumbled, rolling over on my pillow.

"What is wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm tired. Goodnight."

"I know when you are angry and more importantly, I know when you are lying." All the happiness in her voice was gone.

I kept my eyes closed, hoping sleep would take me immediately, "I don't wish to fight with you tonight."

"Why would we fight?"

I sighed, knowing she was far too stubborn to let this go. "The medics keep me informed. I know that they denied your request to be cleared." She had no immediate defiance which was good. I still had the opportunity to save my sleep. "Can we sleep on this and talk about it in the morning?"

"What is there to talk about Peter?" Ashton crossed her arms, "It is not the medics' decision if I fight for my country or not."

I wanted to roll over once more so I would be face down on the pillow. Perhaps I would fall unconscious. That's what it would take to avoid the tiny woman's rage.

"Ashton," I warned.

"Peter."

I made an annoyed groan into to pillow, when I finally looked over to her, she was still sitting in the same spot, but only more unhappy.

"You lost a third of your body weight. You haven't slept more than four hours since you got here. I had to spoon-feed you less than a week ago just so you could get some nutrients. Let's not forget, you were dead for thirteen hundred years. And then after the traumatic situation of being tortured, starved, and watching your best friend die, you have thrown yourself into training where Susan tells me that you passed out due to exhaustion. The medics tell me you are insistent that something is wrong beyond the obvious and ordering they run more tests. You have been deemed mentally and physically unfit to go into battle and I do not disagree." I spoke quickly, laying out all the information before she could interrupt.