Chapter XXII - Sharper Tongues

╣╠

"Cause you really trusted me

And what did I do? What did I do?

I built you up, abandoned you

And I'm too proud to say sorry."

The Ones I Love (Unreleased)

Olivia Rodrigo

╣╠

Chapter XXI - Sharper Tongues

╣╠

I ran my hand across the painted wall, my fingers dancing across the wings that had been painted behind me

I ran my hand across the painted wall, my fingers dancing across the wings that had been painted behind me. To be considered a witch was one thing, to be considered a Saint was something entirely else. I denied the title every time I heard it and yet still felt like an imposter. Aslan had gifted me with time, and a chance at a fresh life and so far I have spent more time worrying about it than living it. A little voice in the back of my head told me not to start the celebrations too early. My heart could fail just as Ben's did. No one in history had been resurrected besides Aslan. And when I wanted to speak to him, I only hear of his disappearance and evitable death.

Edmund met me in the hall, his arms wrapping around me. We shared a short moment, neither of us ready to face the man that tortured and killed our best friend. And even worst, offer him a deal. I'd promised him I would drive my dagger through his neck. Now my country asked for something different.

A giant and a centaur waiting for us outside, the 'additional protection' was requested by Peter. It would take more than those two to keep the peace. Edmund led with the scroll, reading loud and clear to Miraz and his councilmen.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the Usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. My champion shall be Prince Caspian, Tenth of his name, rightful heir to Narnia and the Lone Islands. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-" He started.

"-King." Edmund interrupted nonchalantly, earning a few glances of surprise from the men surrounding us.

I let Edmund step ahead of me, knowing we were sent as messengers, not warriors. He was far more hospitable than I. So I would keep my mouth shut. For Narnia.

"Pardon me?" Miraz's every word got on my nerves.

If Edmund hated him, he didn't show it. "It's King Edmund, actually. Just 'King,' though. Peter's the high king. I know, it's confusing."