Chapter XV - At What Cost?

╣╠

"Darling, I would break my heart

If it was gonna make yours whole

I would rip myself apart

If it was gonna heal your soul."

Break my Heart

Matt Hansen

╣╠

Chapter XV - At What Cost?

╣╠

I vowed long ago to never stay out of a battle my family took part in

I vowed long ago to never stay out of a battle my family took part in. I hated it. I hated waiting around for something to happen. To only be given a death count the morning after I slept. But this time I had to stay back, keeping my face out of unwanted minds. It was easier to work undercover if no one knew who you were. Ash's cloak had come in handy for much of it. I take strength in her memory and do my very best to consider what she would do in this situation for guidance.

The Griffins were like a smoke signal of where the troops were, we could see them start to approach from over a mile away. Soon horses and those on foot joined as well. Caspian and Peter looked beaten and bruised in front of them all. The dueling kings.

Lucy ran to my brother, meeting him in the center of the field. "What happened?"

"Ask him." He scowled at Caspian.

"Peter," Susan warned. She knew that tone better than anyone, the swordfight may have subsided, but a different battle was on the horizon.

"Me?" Caspian scoffed, stopping his march back into the Howe. "You could have called it off, there was still time."

"No, there wasn't, thanks to you." Peter corrects him, "You choose kidnapping over saving your soldiers. If you kept to the plan those soldiers might be alive right now!"

A long Griffin followed up the rear, I could notice Edmund's armor easily. His face seemed paler than usual. His green eyes were tracking something in the woods, hovering closely.

"And if we stayed here like I suggested, they definitely would be!" Caspian fought back, snapping me back to reality. "Oh and Believe me, you'll thank me later."

"Thank you!?" Peter screeched.

My gaze caught what Edmund was following so closely. I finally saw them. With my first step, I tripped over my own feet. I pulled myself together and started running faster than I thought I could. If it was a dream, I didn't want to wake up. If Aslan was blessing me with even a fictional hug with them, I wouldn't waste a second.