Chapter X - Lord of Beruna

╣╠

"Someday, maybe you'll see the light

Whoa oh, some say, in life, you're gonna get what you give

But some things only God can forgive."

Praying

Kesha

╣╠

Chapter X - Lord of Beruna

╣╠

According to leading psychologists, or at least the ones that contained me for days, dreams that create the feeling of falling are the manifestation of our anxieties telling you are losing control. I haven't been in control of much in my young life and I came to peace with that long ago. Lucy controlled a quarter of the world and I was perfectly pleasant only leading my band of anti-heroes.

But this was a different feeling, it wasn't only falling, it was being thrown. I didn't fear falling as much as I feared hitting the ground eventually. I still left the ghost of her hand in mine. No warm or chill there, just her thin fingers.

The darkest became flashes of light, and the falling slowed. It became less of falling and more of floating. There was something underneath me or surrounding me. I felt the water first on my trousers. Then in my hair, soaking down my back. I held my breath, bracing for impact. It came fast, I hit the water so hard my body forgot how to swim momentarily.

I splashed to the surface, feeling the spray of the massive waterfall behind me. I looked around, nothing but the stars and half a moon to greet me. My feet hit the sand and it all became real. My toes curled in the sand, Narnian soil. I was home. I knew these waters, I knew these trees and I knew these forests.

But I did not know these flowers. Or at least why they were here. Susan once tried to get Purple loosestrife for a party of hers. Of course as queen, anything she wished would happen. When they arrived by the truckload, Lucy had every single one sent back right before she strictly educated her sister on the dangers of invasive plants.

I looked around, trying to find the stone plaque that told the history of this very waterfall. It was gone, not only gone, only little stubs were left. I walked closer, seeing the jagged cuts in the stone. The water had taken its time smoothing down each corner after someone hacked away our history.

I knew where I was. I could pick it out on a map easily. But a strong fear crept into my head that the map wouldn't be the same. I grew up with magic. I have seen it and watched a dear friend explore its possibilities. Never did she mention the possibility of time travel or teleportation.

Don't panic. I heard Polly's voice in the back of my head. Aslan has a plan. He knows what he's doing. He's surely smarter and more powerful than I am.

The first step in survival training, when lost in the wild, follow the water. Humans cannot survive without water, therefore wherever water is, humans will follow. I couldn't believe it. In my home, in my world, I was still lost.

Aslan's plan.

Until the plan came to light, he would put one foot in front of the other. Once upon a time, walking along this river would lead him right home to Beruna.

Oh, Aslan, I pray that it is still there.

╣╠

The habit of losing sleep came into good use on this night, I was able to walk- even jog- most of the way. The sun had just begun to rise when the stone wall of Beruna came into view. I took my first deep breath since I entered Narnia.