Chapter XVII - Saints Have Mercy on Us All

╣╠

"What's a mob to a king?

What's a king to a God?

What's a God to a non-believer

Who don't believe in anything?"

Frank Ocean

╣╠

Chapter XVII - Saints Have Mercy on Us All

╣╠

I could hear the whispers through the walls of the infirmary

The Kings and Queens of the old had been strangely avoiding all questions regarding who the girl was and how she knew them. Half the camp saw her collapse. No one knew exactly what to make of the dirt-covered girl and the dead bear. But the camp had started to come to their own conclusions. The whispers grew louder until the name Saint Ashton rang through the halls.

My visitor list was very small. Most had to be at least 1300 years old to be considered. The wrinkly man and the primary reason for my escape was the first young blood to come to my door. I instantly recognized him. While he is still speechless, I found a way to fill in the air between us.

"I have you to thank. Without you, I would not be here." I started. His open mouth still trying to find the right words.

"Of course, Saint Ashton. It was the least I could do." He bowed his head, "My Queen."

I smiled, one of the first genuine ones in a while, "No need for titles, I lost those a long time ago."

She shook his head in disagreement. "Once a Queen of Narnia, always a Queen of Narnia."

I looked the man up and down, he was a curiosity. I made a point to look at the shadow of a man standing a few paces behind him. He wasn't well hidden. I saw the tint of blue armor and recognized my less willing assistant in her escape.

"Forgive, Caspian." He looked back at the boy. "All of this was a fairytale to him just days ago."

"But you knew the truth." I noticed certain similarities of old friends in his face when he turned his face. "Which of your parents are from the Northern Mountains?"

I did take a cautious step back, the usual members of her mother's army still made her heart warry. And I was not in the prime fighting shape I once was.

"My mother, your Grace." He continued with the titles, regardless of my insistence not to.

"How did a half-elven blood end up in the home of the enemy?" I wondered out loud, noticing the surprise on Caspian's face.