Chapter 6

Sunlight streamed over your eyelids. The sounds of birds chirping outside made its way through the closed window next to your bed. The sound of a soft snore pulled you from your dreamless sleep. Who could be in my quarters? The thought stressed you out. But before you could figure out who it was, the dreaded feelings from the night before came barreling at you.

Dane had been spotted. That means Wendy would be found soon. Your gut wrenched as you lifted yourself from the bed. You tip toes towards the living room not knowing what to expect. With your wand drawn you entered. A chuckled formed on your lips before your hand could cover your mouth. Severus Snape sound asleep on the couch with drool hanging to the side. His hair tangled and a mess from the uncomfortable position.

He stirred at your soft laughter at his unruly state. His eyes scanned your body for an wounds and when finding non he settled his eyes on your face. "What is so funny?" He growled out in a soft mumble. His morning voice was much deeper and made butterflies dance in your stomach.

When you didn't answer and just continued to hold in giggles, he forced himself to a sitting position before standing to join you. He reached you and in his sleepy state he took a hold of your wrist and forced it from your mouth allowing the giggles to commence. With his other hand he grabbed your jaw and forced your face upward. "What is, so, funny?"

The smile on your face brightened as you reached up and lightly played with a strand of knotted hair. "I've never seen you look so... alive, professor." Your choice of words fueled the fire in his eyes. He dropped your chin and walked to the mirror hanging by the bookshelf on the wall.

"Ugh. The results of sleeping so uncomfortably." He pulled his wand out of his pocket and fixed his hair with a flick along with the rest of his clothing. "Speaking of which, you should really upgrade your bed. It looks terribly uncomfortable." Your laughter stopped. The heat rising to your cheeks at the mention of your bedroom. Quickly you changed the subject.

"Well, we should get ready. There might be new news about Wendy's whereabouts." He noticed the flushness of your cheeks but kept his mouth shut. For fear he might say the wrong thing or make you emotional again. Severus was not one to deal with emotions well. He bottled them up and drank them away at a bar. He only nodded at your suggestion before excusing himself to his own quarters.

When the door closed you pressed your back against the wall. Not fully understanding the meaning of your feelings or why they were there. You had much more important things to worry about.

The day flew by quickly as the dreaded meeting with the headmaster approached. There were only so many ways it could go. You made yourself useful throughout the classes and even did some of the dirty work of cleaning the cauldrons to distract your racing mind. Of course magic could be used for such things but the act of scrubbing the grime away was soothing.

It was time to head to Dumbledore's office and your nerves radiated from your body. Severus could feel it but he wasn't sure how to help. Words never seemed to come out right for him so he just walked a little closer to you and intertwined his fingers in yours. The icy touch of his hands somehow soothed your racing mind.

Albus sat at his desk looking over some paper and Minerva was rambling on about her new promising students. Your presence was not noticed at first. Severus cleared his throat and the two were met with surprised glances. "Are we early Albus?" You asked carefully.

"Not at all, I just wasn't watching the time." Dumbledore's surprised stare was not directed at either of you. It was directed at your hands still intertwined from the walk here. Severus realized what it must look like and released your hand to go sit at in a chair placed near Albus's desk. "There haven't been many updates as of yet but Wendy has been spotted. She is in perfect health and seems relatively happy. I don't think she knows what is happening." A sigh of relief leaves you knowing that she was safe.

"Are their plans on her rescue?" You asked eagerly.

"Certainly, once Dane leaves the house for supplies or fresh air he will be taken down with an immobilize charm long enough to get him into custody and Wendy back here to the school. At that time we shall have the daycare program running and you will be able to have her with you at all times. That said, we will be modifying your living quarters to be more useful by adding an extra bedroom."

"Oh! Okay, well I shall pack my things and spend the night on another teacher's couch until the room is done. Thank you Albus. I really appreciate it." Nodding you get up and leave with Severus behind you.

As soon as the door closes he musters all the courage he has; "You could spend the night at my quarters. They are much cozier than yours at the moment and even the couch is far comfier. I'll sleep on the couch and you can sleep in the bed. I don't mind."

You smiled sweetly at him as he rambled. He felt nauseous. Your smile was intoxicating and made him feels things that he didn't know he could feel. But his face stayed cold. He couldn't let people in. He had been hurt before by many people and he didn't trust easily. His eyes found your dimples as your smile grew at the offer. Never before had he seen such a beautiful sight as you truly smiling.

"I'd like that. Thanks Severus." The two of you continued to casually talk as you walked to the Great Hall for dinner. This was going to be a long night and an even longer weekend.