Chapter 55

The news of Albus Dumbledore's death has spread through the wizarding world. On my weekly grocery trip (each time to a different store) I heard two women gossiping about the scandal at school.

Severus Snape killed Albus Dumbledore in order to take his position as Headmaster of Hogwarts over the head of one of his ex dearest friends Minerva McGonagall. The school year is ending on a low note and everyone is terrified for the next year.

Severus killed Albus.

Not my Severus, not my children's father. He wouldn't. Not unless he didn't have a choice. I know it's for my own safety but I wish he would've reached out. I'm worried for him. But we both know keeping my pregnancy to full term away from the knowledge of the dark lord is in the best interest of our safety.

Poor Minerva, she's been counting on that position for as long as I can remember. She didn't want to dethrone her friend but she was the next in line for that role.

Headmaster was her position.

Henley kicked against me and forced me back into my reality. I was on the run and standing gawking in the middle of the grocery store aisle over a gossiping conversation was not staying hidden.

Severus is a death eater pretender, there's no way he's gone fully dark. If he killed Albus, it was either because he had no other choice or Albus asked him to do it. He had to keep his cover somehow.

I grabbed a bag of chips from the shelf and moved onto another aisle. There was no reason to disclose my location to anyone by acting suspicious.

When I turned into the next aisle, I saw a tall figure standing by the frozen food. I new immediately who it was. That greasy black untamed hair is fraying without my good shampoo.

My heart hurt and begged for him to turn around and make eye contact with me. My voice lost all meaning and I almost gasped when he turned around. His face was drained of most of its color and he looked miserable.

He looked up and made eye contact with me. Surprise crossed his slightly widened eyes but zero recognition was in those gorgeous pools of darkness.

"Good day." He mumbled as he brushed past me. A muffled sob made its way to my lips as my hand wrapped around my baby bump.

"Good day." Came out muffled and with tears in between the words. It didn't matter though, he was already gone.

The savior in my story had forgotten me. I was no longer the main character, I was the reason for pain. Was I ever the main character? Am I just mental?

Oh Wendy. She's been waiting for Daddy to come and visit for months. She's to much of an extrovert to be hauled up in that cave of a house.

I'm a single mother of two now. He's gone. That's not my Severus. The death eaters have taken over his soul and he no longer is the warm and caring man I've known.

If he remembered me, he would've shown a hint of recognition in his eyes or body language. But there was nothing. I'm just another inconvenience to his day.

I pulled myself together long enough to check out and apparate back home. Wendy was taking a nap so I curled up in 'her' room and balled my eyes out until I was throwing up everything I'd eaten in the past 48 or so hours.

Then I clean up and pulled myself together. He's a man, all men destroy the people who love them.

I'm a mother and that means I need to be present for my kids. And that's exactly what I plan to do.

I call Minerva for the first time in months.

"Minerva, I need your help."

"Y/n? Oh thank goodness it's you. I've been worried sick. How's my little Wendy? And Henley? Is she progressing like she should?"

"Everyone is okay. Wendy is napping right now and Henley is a little soccer player in my belly. How are you? I just heard about and saw Severus."

"You saw him?" Worry flipped through her voice in a strangled way. "You poor thing. How are you holding up?"

"So you know?"

"Of course I know, I've been living in this castle with him for months. He oblivated himself mere hours maybe a day after you left. He couldn't risk you to the dark lord."

"So he doesn't remember me at all. Or our littles?"

"No he has no idea who you are and gets extremely upset when I bring it up because he knows he can't remember but he doesn't know why. He's aware he oblivated himself, that much is obvious, but he refuses to put the memories back."

"The war is closer than I thought then."

"I'll be surprised if it isn't near the birth of Henley."

"Really? September? That soon?"

"Unless it takes Harry longer than expected to find all the horcruxes."

"Potter?"

"Who else? It's the 'chosen one,' it's always Potter and his gang of misfits."

"So the sooner he finds the horcruxes, the sooner the war?"

"Not necessarily, but we want him to find them all. Once the horcruxes are gone, he'll die."

"Then Harry better speed up with finding these things."

"Where are you anyways?"

"Nowhere special. We'll be moving again soon. I can't raise Wendy like this, boarded up in some awfully small apartment. We're taking a leap across the waters. America here we come." 

"You're not serious? How could you possibly move that far away from Severus?"

"He forgot me for a reason, I've been through toxic relationships before and I refuse to do so again. It will just hurt me. I'll be back when the war is over and he has his memory back. There's no use in hurting myself with his absence if I don't have to."

"Momma?" Wendy called out. 

"Coming bug!" I yelled out to her. "I have to go Minnie but I'll reach out soon." 

"I can't wait. I love you Y/n, you have a family here who all love you and will stop at nothing to protect you. Don't forget that."

"I won't. I promise. Talk to you soon." Then I hung up and my heart hurt. I've missed my family so much and I know Wendy misses them too. Trying to keep this house fun isn't working.