Chapter 62

Y/n

Time flew by quickly taking care of my girls. But when the first snow happened not in November but in October, it was very strange. I decided to dress up Henley as a ladybug bc it was a very warm costume and Wendy wanted to be an astronaut so her suit kept her warm.

Unfortunately, there is a downside to living so far away from people. We had to walk ten to twenty minutes just to get to town where the candy parade was happening. A small store that was the main store for miles was giving out candy to any child who came with an outfit on. Afterwards there would be a best costume contest which Wendy was super excited for.

Clint was also pretty excited for it but he'd never tell anyone. He dressed up as a scarecrow and insisted I dress up too so I went out and bought a witch costume because it was only fitting.

After only two minutes of walking Wendy had gotten tired so Clint carried her on his shoulders. Clint was my best friend and he really didn't have any family left so he became Uncle Clint and was a huge help around the house whenever I needed him.

"Uncle Clint look!" Wendy said in excitement. There was the town store decked out in Halloween decor.

"I know it's so exciting!" Clint said to Wendy who was practically trying to crawl on his head to get closer.

Henley was fast asleep in her stroller. She was still little enough that the stroller was more like a bassinet then a chair on wheels.

We got in line for candy and conversed with the other families we'd only ever talked to once or twice in line for groceries. Most were very kind and a lot of them don't have television and the few who do only have American news. It was a relief when no one recognized us.

"Hiiii." Wendy said excitedly to the man handing out candy. Clint set her down and he inspected the costume quickly and nodded.

"Very nice costume! Here's some candy!" He was very cheerful and made us all smile. He even stopped to check Henley's outfit. She was sleeping of course but a few other parents stuck their heads over to see the cute little baby.

Couches and such were set up in the entryway and the few people who did come out from their beautifully country chic homes were discussing various topics.

Wendy played with other little children especially a girl named Anna who ran around with Wendy most of the time.

When all the families prospected to come we're here three people who work at the store came by noting notes at the kids outfits for which their favorites were.

After a small conference between the three they made their choices. Wendy came and hopped in my lap and waiting not so patiently.

"The third place winner for this year's competition issss... Anna Hendrixs! Congratulations!" There was a small applause from the crowd and Anna got a little medal to wear around her neck.

"Innnn second place isssss... Wendy Y/l/n! Congratulations!" She smiled and hopped off the couch running over to get her medal. There was applause and then she came back.

"Momma I won!"

I smiled, "Congrats baby! There's one more winner though so we need to be quiet."

"Finally, our top dog of the night... Nathaniel Jones!" Again applause and a few cheers.

"Hey Momma?" Wendy looked up at me with confusion written across her face.

"Yes bug?"

"So did I win or did he win?"

"All three of you won, baby. The judges did like Nathaniel's a tiny bit more so that's why he got that medal and you got this one. But you still did such a good job that you got a medal. It's that great?"

"No... I wanted to win momma." Her face was getting a little red as she started processing what happened. Energy radiated off of her. Parents were starting to leave so I have Clint the look, picked Wendy up and headed out.

He followed behind pushing the stroller and Wendy started kicked and pushing for me to let her go. We just had to make it back inside the magic free bubble around the property and she could have the meltdown. Today is not the day nor the place to find out how strong her powers have grown.

When the first few tears fell the energy enveloped me like a shock wave. When the sobs emerged she began taking my energy and it was harder to walk so fast.

Clint was right beside me with the stroller. "Switch with me I'll get her there." I nod and hand Wendy to him kicking and pushing.

His face immediately drains with the force of her meltdown. His long legs take him faster than mine and he manages to clear the property line before the explosion of a meltdown.

Thankfully when Clint set up the border he made it huge so it wouldn't be easy to find the house. Wendy starts balling her eyes out on the floor and I hand Clint Henley's stroller again.

I sit down next to Wendy and have her look at me. "Oh bug you still won. You did so good. But sometimes in life you aren't going to win and that's okay. As long as you tried your best that's all that matters. I'm so proud of you and your costume. There's no need for tears baby but I understand that you're upset. It's okay to cry but it's not okay to hurt others."

She sniffled through the tears and nodded. Merlin it's absolutely wonderful to have a toddler.

We made it back to the house in much more peace than before and once Wendy saw the house the day was good once again. She dashed to the door and danced on the doorstep to whatever tune was playing in her cute little head. Clint met her there with Henley who had woken up and was fussy for a clean diaper. He unlocked the door and Wendy went searching for her toys. Clint took Henley to the nursery and was a saint in cleaning her diaper.

I deconstructed the stroller into a folded version and placed it in the entry hall. Then I headed into the kitchen to make supper. But all I could think about was Severus. If he were here and his whole self he would know exactly how to help Wendy with her powers.

I'm mostly worried that with how grand her powers seem to be already, that she'll be considered the next Heir of Slytherin. Henley won't have the problem because Severus is a half blood so she is too. Wendy though, has the power of a pure blood.

I set up the makings for dinner and hear a crash from Wendy's room. I rush in with Clint headed there too.

Wendy has somehow broken the barrier and is making her bed... float.