019.

019.

Unwanted

Sweet Home

◈

Ae-cha found the boy in the daycare, sitting on the floor with his legs crossed, staring at the drawings and paintings Yeong-su and Su-yeong had done and hung on the wall. Slowing down since she had been running to find him, she panted a bit, trying to catch a breath in the doorway. Her heart was beating quickly but it was not because of all the running, it was because of the news she was supposed to tell him.

Ae-cha had always wanted to be a mother. She dreamed of giving her kids the childhood she never had, wanting to give them all the love in the world. She felt attached to the thing growing inside of her even if she knew it was probably infected. In the deepest part of her mind, she hoped her child would not be a monster like her so she could give it to someone who could take care of the infant for her.

Before she could will herself to walk towards the silent boy who was still staring at the wall before him, a dark thought flashed in her head. What would the military do if they found out about it? Would they steal it from her? Would they take her baby and test things on it as they had done to Wooi-myung?

Feeling a shiver of fear and anger travel her body, the girl closed her eyes and took a deep breath, clenching her fist. Opening her eyes again, she took the first step into the daycare and the others came easier than she had expected. She thought she would be scared of telling Hyun-soo, but she only felt like she should be honest with him.

Standing in front of Hyun-soo, she looked down at him while he slowly lifted his head to meet her eyes. She felt worried by the blank look that she saw, falling to her knees in front of him. "Hyun-soo?" She called with concern, a frown on her face. "What's wrong?" She asked, placing her hands on his cold cheeks.

"We should leave with him," He told her suddenly and she bit the inside of her cheek.

"Yeah," She nodded, looking down at her lap, removing her hands from his face.

But the boy quickly grabbed her wrists, putting her hands back on his cheeks, snuggling against her soft skin and a smile made its way across her face, feeling slightly relieved to see the Hyun-soo she knew back. Crawling onto his lap, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. He buried his face in the crook of her neck, taking in her comforting scent, his hands slipping under her sweater to rub the skin of her bare back.

"Are we okay?" She asked in a small voice after a while of silence, her throat feeling tight with worry.

"What?" He questioned, pulling away just a bit to look into her sad brown eyes. "Of course, we're okay, what do you mean?"