𝙄 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪,𝙔/𝙉 𝙃𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙩𝙤𝙣 | 𝑀𝑎𝑥 𝑀𝑎𝑦𝑓𝑖𝑒𝑙𝑑 ♡︎

Y/N Harrington and Dustin Henderson were dropped off to the Snowball by Y/N's older brother Steve. As the pair walked inside they were more excited then could be expressed. They finally had a break from their chaotic and dangerous lives.

But later that night, Y/N could feel her heart breaking. Max Mayfield broke her heart. It's not like she expected Max to like her, but watching her kiss Lucas....

It really hurt.

She could feel the tears swell her eyes as her throat burned. Her vision was blurry, and she just left. It's not like she had anyone to talk too anyway. El was dancing with Mike, Will got a dance with some random girl, Dustin actually got a dance with Nancy Wheeler, and Max was... dancing with Lucas.

She went to one of the phone booths right outside of the school. The sky began to cry, but the tears froze before they could reach land. The snow fell on the heart broken girls face, along with her own tears.

She went to the phone and called her home phone number. Hearing the familiar voice of her brother on the other end.

"Hey, Harrington residence, this is Steve." He sounded bored and Y/N found herself tearing up more as she could still hear the music playing from inside.

"Uh.. hey Steve it's Y/N, can you come pick me up... please." Her voice cracked as she tried to stop a sob from coming out. 'This is so stupid' She thought to herself 'crying over a girl'

"N/N.. Hey, what's wrong? Did someone say something to you? Did they do something??" Steve crescendoed over the phone making his little sister giggle. "No.. no, nothing like that. Can you just pick me up?"

"Yeah, of course I'll be there in a minute." Steve breaths before he hung up and immediately put on a coat and jumped in his car. 'What the hell could have happened?' He thought as he drove to Hawkins Middle School.

When he got there he found Y/N sitting on the steps in front of the gym, playing with the fabric of her dress. Goosebumps all over her body prickled up, her spine shivered as she sat in the cold, but she refused to go back inside. She couldn't see Max and Lucas, she just couldn't do it.

Steve frowned as Y/N looked up at the car pulling in. Her tears were evident on her face and her eyes were red and puffy. The Harrington girl slowly stood up and walked to her big brothers car, feeling slightly embarrassed.

She was shivering from the cold and on the whole ride home, neither of them said anything. Steve wanted to say a lot of things, but he could tell she just wanted to go home.

But when they got home, the questions started popping out. "What happened?"

"Who made you upset?"

"Do you want me to hurt someone?"

"Why won't you tell me anything?"

"Please Y/N.."

"I-it's dumb, the reason I wanted to leave." Y/N finally spoke leaning against the island in the kitchen. "Max she- she kissed Lucas... I guess I'm just jealous......Its dumb, I know-"

"No...no I don't think it's dumb."

Y/N looked up at Steve, his warm brown eyes filled with sincerity. "I think you love her." Steve smirked ruffling the younger girls hair. "Even though I told you not to.. you're too young for this heartbreak shit." Steve looked down and suddenly Y/N remembered Nancy, and how she broke Steve heart.

Its a vicious cycle.

Y/N hugged Steve and he wrapped his arms around her. She smashed her face against his shoulder and they sat there comfortably for a while. Y/n finally broke the hug, "I'm gonna go take this dumb dress off.." She grinned shortly before trotting up the stairs. She took her shoes off and changed into pajamas.

Then Y/N just.... sat there. She felt numb, all of the butterflies Max Mayfield had given her we're starting to die, maybe that was a good thing. Maybe she wasn't meant to love Max Mayfield.

There was suddenly a tapping at her window, and Y/N's heart sank down to her stomach. She slowly looked over and saw none other than the red head herself.

The butterflies aren't dead.

She quickly rushed over to the window, opening it up for the cold girl. The snow was in her hair, although a little cold wouldn't stop the fire in her heart.

"Max I-I-" Y/N was cut off when Max pulled her in by her waist and kissed her. Max noted the taste of strawberry on the H/C haired girls lips, and she smiled. "Y/N... I'm so sorry, I never ever wanted to dance with Lucas. I didn't like kissing him... I just- I wanted to kiss someone else.." Max sighed and paused for a moment. "I really like you Y/N Harrington." Max finished her rant, looking in her crushes E/C eyes.

"I like you too Max Mayfield." Y/N whispered with the biggest smile on her face. Max grinned, "Sooo... are you my girlfriend now?" Max joked, the grin never left.

"Obviously." Y/N giggled, and they kissed again. Max snuck back out the window, and Y/N went downstairs to find Steve on the couch. "What's with the smile, weren't you just crying a minute ago?" Steve chuckled at the girl, who had a love struck grin on her face.

Y/N Harrington only smiled wider, because she was Max Mayfield's girlfriend.