𝙃𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙗𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙠𝙨 | 𝑆𝑡𝑒𝑣𝑒 𝐻𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑡𝑜𝑛 𖦹

Y/n Harrington was the only one in the house that night. She was curled up on the couch with chocolate and popcorn, watching mystery shows comfortably. She played with her hands through her brothers old sweater sleeves, which were far too long on her arms. Her eyes squinted at the show she was watching, already knowing exactly who the killer was. Unlike other kids her age, the very same kids that she hid from as they knocked on the door, Y/n hated the thought of dressing up and going out, it seemed like too much of a hassle to her.

Her brother had gone out to a party, and said he wouldn't be back until late. She was fine with that, she liked being alone, but now she was watching their favorite show all by herself and she felt lonely.

It was barley 10:30 pm, and Y/n was already sleepy. Her eyes drooped as she tiredly tried to keep them open. The noise of the backyard fence opening and closing woke her up quickly again.

She slowly turned around, shaking like she was in her own crime show, but not really wanting to be the detective. The light from the pool illuminated the backyard, which displayed the fluffy hair and hunched shoulders of her older brother at the edge of the pool.

Y/n sighed in relief, glad that she didn't see a scene from a slasher film. She got up from the couch, her socks gliding against the wooden floor. She carefully opened the sliding door to the backyard, and she could hear sniffles and hiccups coming from a visibly shaking Steve. Y/n stopped, a frown growing on her face when she realized how upset her brother was.

Steve wasn't a very emotional person, Y/n hadn't seen him cry many times. Her movements became more gentle as she approached her crying brother while he tried to wipe his tears, but they kept coming. She gently padded towards him, when she reached his side by the pool, she sat down quietly.

Steve desperately tried to wipe his teary eyes, but he couldn't escape the sympathetic look of his younger sister.

"What's wrong Steve?" Y/n whispered, rubbing and patting her brothers back gently as he finally calmed his tears down.

"I don't wanna talk about it.." Steve choked out, knowing that his sister wouldn't understand the heartbreak Nancy had put him through moment earlier.

"Oh, okay." Y/n began, biting her lip, not really knowing what to do next. "Do you..need anything?"

Steve sucked in a shaky breath, his brown eyes making their way to his sisters concerned face. "Will you just stay with me for a minute. That's all I need."

Y/n smiled sadly, scooting closer to her brother so that their soldiers her touching. "Of course I will." She paused, then smiled wider. "But I think there is something else you need."

"Oh yeah, what is that?" Steve somehow let out a chuckle, the quietness of the night making it seem like they were the last people on earth. Y/n chuckled, and threw her arms around Steve's neck, squeezing him tightly.

"A hug! Because you're not supposed to be sad! It's Halloween! And your my big brother, and I love you! You're too amazing to be sad!" Y/n exclaimed in a dramatic theatre voice, making Steve laugh as he hugged her back. They stayed there like that for a moment, and Steve smiled his first genuine smile of the night as he buried his head in Y/n's shoulder. Steve wasn't a hug person, but in this moment it just felt like the right thing to do, like the best thing for both of them.

"I have some chocolate. Do you wanna watch a crime show with me." Y/n let go of Steve, getting up and holding her hand out for him. Steve scoffed playfully, "Enough with the crime shows! You're gonna be a murderer one day!" He took her hand, and the two of them went inside.

They spent an hour on the couch that night. Giving bad advice to the fake killer that couldn't even hear them, and complaining how they could do a better job than the shows detective. "N/n." Steve said, after the ending credits of the episode they were on rolled.

"Yeah?" Y/n turned at the sound of her nickname with a soft smile. Steve smiled at her expression, "Thank you."

"Of course. You know the stuff I said about you being awesome was true, right."

"Yeah, sure. I guess."

"You guess? Do I have to remind you?"

"No, please. Don't crush me in a hug, I like breathing."

Y/n did it anyways, hugging her brother again, burying her head into his chest. "I love you, I'm sorry you were so upset."

"It's not your fault. I love you too loser."

Steve sighed dramatically as Y/n squeezed him tighter. Although, he was glad there was some one to distract him from his Halloween heartbreak. And he was glad it was Y/n.

_________ ★ _________

A/N : Is saying "I love you" verbally to your family a normal thing? My family has always done it but I see all of these people who say they don't openly tell their family that they love them 😭