Chapter#15

Sandal's POV:

"I am glad to know that Zohma has a real friend by her side now. I was starting to feel guilty." Azhar Bhai said.

"There is no need for you to feel guilty." Zohma said, frowning.

And I look back & forth between them in confusion.

"You don't know much, do you?" Azhar Bhai asked, looking at my confused expression.

"Know what?"

"My so-called friends abandoned me because I am getting married." Said Zohma, venom dripping from her every word.

"Eh? ....Why would anybody abandon a friend for getting married? And what does it have to do with Azhar Bhai?" I asked Zohma but she wouldn't say anything.

Right now, we are sitting in a garden. And by 'we, I mean Muskan, Azhar Bhai, Zohma and me. While Sir, his mother and Azhar Bhai's parents are deciding the date of the wedding. Zohma was too shy to sit there, so she leaves first, dragging me with her.

Muskan doesn't want to be a part of that boring elderly conversation, so she tags along with us, so did Azhar Bhai. According to him, he has clarified that the marriage has to be held in the next month and since he is a kind man, he gives the elders the honour of taking care of the dates.

"Listen," he readjusts his position on his chair to face me."I have been studying at the same university with them on a scholarship. There was no way a person of middle-class background as me could enter there on his own. So... they hated me for being a commoner and... for snatching away their chance to be a part of the Wali's." He said, winking.

"Chance?" I asked in confusion.

"Common sense, Sandal baji..." Muskan said, pointing her index finger to her head," There were many boys who had asked for baji's hand in marriage to become an in-law of the Wali Family. Which can bring huge fame, plus money."

Wow! She talks like sir...

"Muskan! You're ditto of Sir Ahmed." I said in amazement.

"Haish! Don't compare me to Bhai. He is too... simple. I am the brain of the Wali Family." She says, holding her chin up in the air. Which made us all laugh.

"Well, someone is full of herself." Azhar Bhai said to Muskan. She replied to him, but my mind was too preoccupied to notice what she said. I turned my attention to Zohma.

"Was what Azhar Bhai said was true?" I whispered to her and she nodded in affirmation.

'But you didn't tell me.' I wanted to say but kept it to myself. I am in no position to complain to her about not telling as I was keeping things from her too. I didn't even tell her about my family. And I thank Allah that he helped me dodge the topic every time she or her family tries to bring it up. I don't want to hide it, but I also don't want anyone's pity. Allah had given me those three, and now, he had taken back what he gave. So why should I hear condoling words.?

"Oye!" Zohma shook my arm, dragging me back to reality.

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

"You were spacing out!" Said Azhar Bhai.

"Oh! ...I am sorry... I was just thinking about what Azhar Bhai said. I felt this kind of hatred from only one person and it really pissed me off. I wonder how you managed it."

"You have no idea... Well, there are lots of stories if you want to listen." He said, chuckling. "But who is the person you were talking about?"

"My boss." I said, rolling my eyes and everyone looked at me with wide eyes, including Muskan who was busy doing something on her tablet.