A doctor's call

A couple of weeks had passed and I was just lying on my back on Gabriel's bed, waiting for him to return from the bathroom, when I suddenly held my breath and waited. There it was again. After a little more than two weeks of guessing, if the slight twitching could be my baby, I could tell for sure this time, that I had felt the little one kick.

"Come here, quickly!", I whispered as soon as my child's father stepped inside.

"I am on my way, love, is everything alright?", he asked worriedly.

"I could feel a real kick!", I hissed, "right here!"

I grabbed his hand and laid it on the side of my by now very visible bump.

I could tell, that he struggled to touch me after the big fight we had five days ago. We had made up and it was the first night, that I was spending in his room again. The other three I had stayed in my own room, not even talking to him, because I had overheard him, yelling at Nathalie, for asking for a week off, after she had called in sick for the whole week before.

I had immediately taken her side and had told him, that he should treat her differently and that she did so much for him, that he should feel ashamed for not even letting her have one week off in the middle of June.

He then had started yelling at me and grabbed my wrists rather violently, to then shove me backwards into his room. He had done that a little too strongly though and I had tripped and almost fallen, if he hadn't caught me right before I hit the ground.

Though he had begged for my forgiveness right away and even granted his assistant the week off, I had been angry and even a little bit scared of him again.

And I had told him that. Now, despite we really made up, like twice this afternoon, he still was reluctant, thinking I would still fear him.

"That's really wonderful, my dear, but it's too early for me to feel too!", he cooed, but started to gently rub along my belly.

"There it was again!", I blurted out and he smiled and bent down to place a gentle kiss at the spot, I had just pointed at.

"You should get some rest, my love, I have a couple of things left to do at the office. Don't wait for me, I must admit, that I depend a lot on Nathalie. Maybe that's why I reacted the way I did. I know, that I still was wrong and I regret, that I was mean to her and to you. I love you!"

He kissed me softly, before he pulled the light, satin sheet over my naked body.

"I know, it's warm", he said sheepishly, "but it makes me feel better, knowing I did at least something to keep you safe!"

"Just hurry back, okay?", I pleaded and he smiled at me, before he left the room.

I stretched and made myself comfortable with my upper body leaning against a large cushion, while I grabbed the remote and switched on the TV, as it was still early. But I had decided, that I could just as good stay here already, instead of going into my room for those two or three hours when I would be tired enough to sleep.

It was around half past eight, when my phone chimed and I reached for it and looked who it might be at this time. I inhaled sharply, seeing the name Sean written on the screen.

After he had accompanied me home, he had come a day later to pick up the by Adrien signed and personalized fotos for his sisters and since then he sent a text twice a week to ask for my well being.

He had never tried to call me before and I wondered, what he was up to.

"Hey", I said casually, trying to not let him hear, that I was nervous.