Chapter 23

Alex Pov.

I walked through the garden after I woke up and realized no workers were around. The birds chirping reminded me of a short trail I would walk whenever I was upset with life. To think I was on a downward spiral only a bit ago and now I'm in a mystical realm with someone who is supposed to love and protect me at all times. Wild.

"I'm sorry we lost you." My mother's voice was smooth as honey.

"That's okay. Not really your fault I brought a war to the kingdom you guys built." I spoke.

"That's not the point. It must've been hard for you down there. Always feeling different and not knowing why." She gestured to the bench beside her.

"We planted this garden for you. There's secret only you can discover here. The house will even reveal you past, present, and future if you choose to listen to the walls. All I ever wanted was you to be protected and safe."

"Well from what I saw you did the only thing you thought was able to protect me. I can't hold a grudge with you for that."

"Yes. You're right. I suppose." She sighed.

"How did you guys win?"

"Well we won by embracing each other."

"Like a hug?"

She laughed, "No, we used our individual gifts to help cover each other's strengths and weaknesses."

"Hmm, would it have been easier for everyone to use your strengths and weaknesses?"

"Well I mean, it was obviously a struggle to fight off your enemies with just the two of you playing the tricks. You guys wanted to defeat the bad guy and relied on your army to hold off his army. However, wouldn't it have been easier if your army knew more than hand to hand combat. Everyone has a gift and instead of relying on the speed and agility that every vampire is equipped with you could use your weakest links as you strongest weapons. Maybe the weakest fighter is the best strategist. Can't you guys communicate to each other telepathically?"

"You are brilliant. I never thought about using the fighters gifts to help win. But communication can only be done with people you have a strong trust connection with."

"Shouldn't all the fighter trust each other? Even if you can't have the whole army be able to talk to each other. Have one leader per platoon who we trust  and will be able to communicate with. Then have those leaders build trust with their platoons so they can communicate to them. Each group can be specialized and mold together with other groups. It's the most efficient method in my opinion."

I looked at my mom's gaze into the sky. Her eyebrows pushed together. I think she was debating if what I suggested was plausible.

"You might be onto something. However, of you guys are going to lead a modern army. One of you are going to have to create fear and respect. Otherwise traitors could easily breach their minds if captured. To protect your subjects you must think for them and not with them." Her cold tone made the birds silent.

"Me? Why do I have to lead an army?"

"Because it is your turn to grow a nation. Yours and Avery's. I will guide you guys but the decisions leaders must bare need to be made by the ones whose future rests in its hands."

I shivered. "Sounds intense, like a burden I don't want to bare. Who wants to be rule mean?"

"Leaders bare burdens and make sacrifices so the people don't have to. You don't have to be mean you have to mean business. That starts with a firm grip on who is loyal and not. And unfortunately, fear will show you who is a coward. From there you can weed out the rotten apples before they poison them all."

She started walking away and gestured me to follow. We arrived to a big dome about 20 minutes later that must've been the size of four football stadiums if not larger. As we went inside Avery just started fighting my dad.

Hey guys don't forget to comment and vote and ideas or guesses for what is to come in the future are always welcomed! Thanks for your continuous support.