Chapter 26

Alex Pov.

The next morning was everything except peaceful between Avery and I. What started as a morning filled with kisses and jokes led to a very serious problem. Agreement.

I paced around the library causing the lights to flicker. She was just so infuriating and stuck in her ways. We should be looking for new bold leaders for our groups and instead she wants to promote people based on title and family.

After viewing every person skill and jotting down notes not once did Avery mention anyone who had valuable qualities apart from being born with money. Tunnel vision.

I started to pick at my nails as a book slammed against a desk. I walked over to it and started to read cautiously.

Once upon a time, two boys were forbidden to meet. One boy was given to a king while the other was given to a farmer. Jobs of equal importance but not treated with equal respect. These boys, twins, were meant to rule together but greedy forebears did not want to have two queens, two bloodlines, two rightful heirs that could change traditions. Stuck in old ways, these men split apart two souls who needed each other to thrive.

Each boy grew up on their own, but as fate would have it the kings son took a liking for medicinal practices found near farms as the farmer's son practice his swordsmanship every day.

One fateful even, both boys went into the woods after following the moons light. Both boys stumbled upon each other until the night went black. A candle appeared in front of them. The resemblance of each other's face shocked each other to their core both thought they were dreaming.

A goddess appeared in front of the the boys joining their hands together. No one knows what went on in the forest exactly. But the trees would whisper of knowledge and fate. They would meet every single night in the forest pushing each other's limits. Until a tournament was put on by the king's son in celebration of his manhood. This tournament would grant one person of any title the freedom to be the princes right hand in battle.

The King played dirty tricks once recognizing similar features in the upcoming champion from his son. He couldn't have anyone realizing his secrets. Despite the king's foul tricks with honor, truth, and valor the champion won.

The King's was furious a farmer's son was able to defeat all of his knights and trusted men so in one last attempt to bring the champion shame the king challenged him to a fight.

The champion had his birth right in his grasps but slowly he felt as if he was trying to drink water with a fish net.

"You must fight me. Raise your sword to prove your worthiness and loyalty to my son."

The prince and audience grew fearful. To raise a sword and attack a king is a criminal offense by law punishable by banishment or worse.

The champion looked through the king. The King stepped toward him but the boy did not flinch. For he knew his place in a world that made him hunt hogs, plant herbs, and heal thousands. The man who made him a bastard had no weight on who he was or his integrity. The champion froze and the king drew his sword to stab him...

"Move right!" The prince yelled and the champion soun out of the way.

Confusion and relief grew in the audience. The unfair king lost respect from the common people and the just noblemen. Rules are rules in competition to change them in the middle or after is unfair and cowardly because it means you are not getting your way. The fight becomes a rigged gamble.

The prince raised the champions arm, and spoke,
"The champion's loyalty not to me but to my family has spoken volumes today. One would never dare raise a sword at a king. the Champion however waited for my command knowing that I have the best in mind for all of my people. The champion won not based on money but pure skill and valor. He will help me change the country for the greater good not born into royalty, but chosen. What is your name champion?"

"James" he smiled.

"We will do great things James. I'm Edward."

The crowd applauded. James was able to see the corruption inside the royal court. Once things kept getting worse the boys had cone up with a plan to rid them of the king, their father. One poison apple at the top of the tree will eventual poison the whole tree.

I closed the book. The library knows there are not good people leading close to Avery right now. We need to create tests to show peoples true colors.

Hope you guys are enjoying so far remember to comment and vote I love to hear what you guys have to say!