Chapter 42

Alex Pov.

The plain colors in the room felt cold and the scratchy sheets caused my leg to shake with anticipation. My body a temple for consumed anxiety. How can a person be dying and yet be healing all at once. However, I could only wait with Avery squeezing my hand lightly. She seemed calm. Her demeanor more sympathetic and warm compared to how she normally is.

The doctor stepped into the room without a clip board and my heart dropped. Slowly, what my body already knew my heart was just realizing.

  "Good news all of the silver residue has been cleaned from your body," his posture stiffened and he stood by the doorway for a few awkward minutes before continuing, "I'm sorry your highnesses, but it seems the baby girl did not survive the poison."

   The air grew silent. The bed started to cave. Avery's heart was racing, my heart stopped. Rain poured, a thunder storm in summer. Allie took my loves mind and then continue to snatch my baby's soul. Avery climbed in the hospital bed wrapping her arms gently around me. A few minutes later her hands were in my hair. Her soothing fingers the only thing I felt as the doctored drew my blood for more test.

  _______

   It's been days since I moved. Now In the comfort of  of my own bed sheets yet my body feels as dull as ever. Ezra came by to visit with Dax, something has those two hip and hip these days but the only words Ezra could mutter were I'm sorry, I couldn't have foreseen these events in my vision you had that motherly glow about you still... then she left with more apologies, but it's not like it is her fault some people are psychopaths.

   A trial will be had for the prisoners including the trusted soldier I once believed in. I have been too naive like a child. How can I expect to lead and see into the future if I cannot see what's underneath my nose. I guess I learned some valuable lessons from all aspects of this war.

   I'm mad at the goddess if anything, promises a gift to us and we mate like we were supposed to and yet she takes the gift back. Some all powerful god I snickered to myself which cause Avery to look up from her desk.

She put her pen down and walked over to the bed side"Are you good?"

  "Perfectly, perfect" I responded.

   "Well then let's get you a bath since you're doing so well."

   I groaned not expecting her to be this cruel. I turned my back toward her and huffed in refusal. She must've not like that answer because she picked me up and then laid me in a cold empty tub. Before I could stand up she pulled my night gown off of me.

  My back arched and I leg out a little scream. She just watched me squirm and struggle to get out as she climbed onto me and pushed my bare back against the cold side of the tub. She watched over and turned the water on. I struggled to move away but she kept a firm hand around my neck -forcing me into submission.

   The water filled up quick and the tubs temperature became bearable as the hot water and steam warmed the bathroom. I focused on my breathing as I felt my body relax. Eventually, she let go of me. Grabbed a wash cloth and began cleaning me like a kid. I lifted my hand up about to refuse and say a snarky comment but Avery's eyes shot daggers into my soul. Therefore, I know it's best to hold my tongue.

  Eventually, she broke the silence, "I know things have been hard for you and I've been strong because that's who I am for us. However, it has been just as hard on me as it has been for you."

   My heart sank at her words. Not only did she suffer a loss of a child but as my mate she has to endure my pain and suffering as well. Yet here I am selfishly laying in bed all day and making Avery continue and prep for the trail all by herself.

  "I'm sorry, I honestly didn't think about that" I responded.

   "You don't need to be sorry. I just don't want you to think I'm not feeling our pain. The only thing I wish is that I would've killed her right then and there.." she trailed off.

   I remember her stabbing me. I could feel Avery's eyes on me and I watched her rage turn into a fire I've never seen. Yet to be completely consumed by hate, it would weigh on you in the long run. All that negativity affects one's consciousness and even though effects aren't immediate they eventually catch up with us. Maybe sadness is similar to angry that way. It consumes peoples soul causing them to eventually snap.

   As Avery finished washing my hair, I realized we have to be here for each other. To help save each other from our own kinds of self destruction. The type of evil that's harbored throughout years of negativity, neglect, and suppressed regrets. Maybe sometimes to move forward we must look back and forgive. It's the reason I did not want Avery to kill Allie, because an eye for an eye would make the whole world blind.

  In this moment, my sorrow affects everyone. This negativity Allie brought into our family has caused me to neglect myself and my duty to my partner. I am thankful for Avery's strong demeanor, but I cannot fight for us if I'm not present in the moment. She stood me up and dried me off. She caressed my cheek and even though we stood silent I knew our souls understood the unspoken words lovers speak.

  I hugged her tightly only to realize she never took off her clothes. Avery is a drenched and soapy mess, but she's my mess.

  "Maybe, we should get in the shower to wash you up next" I giggled as Avery looked down and smiled.

   "You're worth wet socks" she smirked and leaned in for a kiss.

   Our lips interlocked together as she pulled me into the shower, but right as she went to deepen the kiss my mouth let out a trembling yell and I loss my balance.