Chapter 40

Nursery Inspo^^

Alex Pov.

  I could feel the little soul in my body warm my heart when I was sad, which is exactly how I feel right now. I didn't know the gender of the baby and Avery said it's better to be surprised, however planning the nursery not knowing was frustrating.

  My physician let me know that I need to take it easy since vampire pregnancies tend to be fast and unpredictable, but who can take it easy when there's so much to prepare. Avery said we should paint it purple, but that leans too girly in my opinion.

   After much debate, I decided with a monochrome inspired room. I immediately sent a maid called Madgri out to fetch stuff animals. I started painting like crazy with elegant trees, birds, and the moon to give the illusion of night time.

When the maid returned Avery was helping her carry important items like a crib, firefly lights, and stuffies. The sight was beyond adorable. We spent a couple hours attempting to assemble the crib but could not understand the directions.

"Out of all the languages and dialects you know Avery, you think one of them would be how to read simple directions" Dax laughed.

"You know what at least I understand the Language of Loveeee" she shook her shoulder at him causing him to cringe.

Avery's delusions, stopped which amplified our relationship and we have grown so much. I appreciate how Avery tries to lead with logic, even preparing me for possible scenarios that would never happen like losing our child. She thinks she is slick, but honestly I am stronger than she thinks.

Over the next couple of days we finished the bedroom. Avery enlighten me that in human years kids age twice as fast and reach their full grown state at 12 years old yet their appearance is 24. From then on you just keep counting.

After giving our full attention to the nursery, we collectively went in search for some missing pages from the enchanted library. Ezra let us know it was probably Allie and her friends who were able to ghost walk. This gives illusions the power to move things even though there is no physical presence left behind. It's kinda like that random cup that falls off the counter for no reason.

With no luck I decided it would be good for us to go undercover in the surrounding cities. Avery agreed to the outing, but on the condition that somebody trailed us. After arguing, we asked Ezra to use her illusions to make sure we were alone yet watched out for.

"May I hold your hand Ms. Bell," Avery asked with a slight bow.

"Why of course, Miss. Kline."

"This is one of my favorite shops. My mom and dad used to pick these trinkets up all the time" Avery danced like a toddler.

"You guys are a long way form home?" the shop owner inquire leaving us speechless to how we were recognized.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"Your clothes might look normal, but I know a palace worker when I see one" he replied.

"Oh yes, their majesties gave us a day off in preparation for a wedding." Avery replied.

"A wedding? About time it's almost been past two whole moons, the goddess is probably the reason for this drought. The wedding should set things right though." He spoke slow and handed me a sun token and Avery a moon token.

"How much for the fortune that goes with these sir?" Avery asked.

"They are free if you ask, charity is always welcome." He responded as Avery tipped him a gold coin.

He continued, "The moon is important to guide us in the dark, yet a son is dim because of the moon," he looked me in the eyes, "it takes great sacrifice to save a life."

Avery chuckled and thanked the man for his confusing riddle. He mumbled how young people won't undertake until they lived. As we walked away I knew Avery was lost in thought so I squeezed her hand slightly.

"Sorry, I'm just thinking the cities shouldn't be in a drought. The look outs would know of the water stopped flowing in and I would've immediately heard of the water supply running low. Something isn't right."

As I was about to speak, Ezra appeared. Get in the barrels. Now!

We thought it was a joke to make sure we were paying attention, but as we peaked through the cracks hooded figures appeared. They rough housed the citizens and were stealing crops by the many.

  I should help them fight! Avery mind-linked.

No. They are already leaving and no one knows you are witnessing. You would blow our cover.

I know. How did Ezra see it coming?

I don't know but we need to get back to the palace.

After a few minutes of screaming the town cried I'm pain at a lost harvest. Avery and I ran back to the palace and time wasn't on our side.