。twenty two 。

-"Yes

-
"Yes."
-

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. I guess he never did get you to sign them." Fury started, throwing bloody Captain America cards down onto the table and Steve reached to pick one up. "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, our location of the cube, Banner, Thor... I got nothing for you. I lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming. Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing with something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark already knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes."

Tony shot up from his seat at the table and Alina glanced at him from hers. The billionaire walked away from them, Fury watching as he did so.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion." Fury hummed.

Alina stood up next, walking away in search of Natasha. She still didn't trust the redhead or like her considering how they met again in her apartment after so many years but she felt as though she was the only person that would understand her. When she found Natasha in the room with Clint, she stood at the door and decided not to knock, turning away instead.

The pair of agents seemed to be smiling as they spoke on the bed, obviously easy friends and Alina could only feel as though she had been replaced. When they were younger, all they would do was talk each others ears off until they fell asleep from exhaustion. And when the mission in Ohio with Yelena started, their duo became a trio until they were split again by Dreykov.

Alina thought she wouldn't be the only one to hold onto their past but by the looks of things, she was.

"Hey, you okay?" Steve asked as he passed her coming down the corridor that joined onto the one he was walking down.

"Fine." She replied shortly. "What are you doing?"

"Looking for Stark." Steve answered and she nodded.

"I guess I'll join you." Alina muttered, walking with Steve down the corridor until they found Tony on a path, looking over the hellicarrier, not exactly focused on anything.

"Was he married?" Steve questioned, leaning back on the railing.

"No." Tony answered. "There was a cellist, I think."

"I'm sorry." Steve apologised. "He seemed like a good man."

"He was an idiot." Tony stated.

"Wow." Alina mumbled to herself.

"Why? For believing?" Steve pushed as Tony started to walk towards them.

"For taking on Loki alone." Tony corrected.

"I mean, Rudolph is a god." Alina nodded. "But it was brave."

"He was doing his job." Steve stated.

"He was out of his league." Tony scoffed. "He should have waited. He should have..."

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." Steve reasoned.

"Right, I've heard that before." Tony mused, the two about to cross paths while Alina was just standing beside where they would stop.

"Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" Steve asked.

"We are not soldiers." Tony fumed, spinning to face the blonde. "I'm not marching into Fury's fife."

"Neither am I." Steve responded.

"I'm not." Alina shook her head.

"He's got the same blood on his hands that Loki does." Steve told them. "But, right now, we gotta put that behind us and get this done. Loki needs a power source. If we can put together a list-"

"He made it personal." Tony interrupted.

"That's not the point." Steve denied.

"Maybe it is." Alina chimed in. "That's Loki's point."

"Yeah, he hit us all right where we live. Why?" Tony continued.

"To tear us apart." Steve replied.

"Yeah, divide and conquer is great, but he knows he has to take us put to win, right? That's what he wants." Tony explained. "He wants to beat us, he wants to be seen doing it."

"He wants audience." Alina said to Steve.

"Right. I caught his act in Struttgart." Steve sighed.

"Yeah, that's just the previews. This is opening night." Tony argued. "And Loki, he's a full-tilt dive, right? He wants flowers, he wants parades. He wants a monument built to the skies with his name plastered..." Tony trailed off, realisation hitting him. "Son of a bitch."

"Stark Tower?" Steve asked Alina as Tony walked off.

"Yes. God, you are as slow as your age should be." Alina murmured, strutting off.

-

"Time to go." Steve said, stood at Natasha's door with Alina, the pair suited up.

"Go where?" Natasha questioned.

"I'll tell you on the way." Steve responded. "Can you fly one of those jets?"

"i can." Clint chimed in, walking out of the bathroom and Steve glanced to Natasha who gave him a nod.

"You got a suit?" Steve asked him.

"Yeah." Clint muttered, drying off his hands.

"Then suit up." Steve ordered, walking away.

"Alina, right?" Clint asked as she went to walk off, too.

"Yes." Alina nodded, taking a look to Natasha who was only looking back at her.

"I've heard about you. It's nice to meet you." Clint smiled, holding a hand out for her to shake and she stared at it. When she didn't shake it, he slowly lowered it. "Okay, then."

"What do you know?" She demanded and Natasha sighed with a small smile.

"I told him about our time in Ohio and he knows about the Red Room. He helped me take it down." Natasha explained.

"Mhm." Alina nodded, eyeing Clint before turning to Natasha. "Hurry up or I'll fly without you."

{969}