Plays + Dates

I was sat by Andre and Cat with Jade sat in the row behind me

I was sat by Andre and Cat with Jade sat in the row behind me. Sikowitz burst through the door as the bell was ringing.

"Good morning, little mutants. All right. Now, it's time for bad news," Sikowitz said.

"They found out coconut juice makes your hair fall out?" Rex asked. Sikowitz laughed.

"No. We're going to do an acting exercise about giving bad news," Sikowitz said.

"Why?" Jade asked.

"To teach you that acting often involves making choices about how to say things. For example... How do you give someone bad news and make it seem not so bad?" Sikowitz asked.

"Ooh, easy. You assure the person you can fix the problem with a box of Ritalin and if that doesn't work you kick them out. Make them someone else's problem," I said. Jade pulled me into her lap and kissed my cheek. "I love you," 

"I love you too baby girl," Jade said. I cuddled into her. She put one hand on my back rubbing my back while the other hand rested on my thigh. We turned our attention back to Sikowitz.

"By telling them in a language they don't understand!" Cat said.

"No Cat. Just come up on stage here. Robbie, you too, up up. And now, your partner in this little acting exercise... Tanner... come in!" Sikowitz said. Kodi's little brother walked in. "Everybody, this is Tanner, a young boy who lives next door to me," Everyone said hi to Tanner.

"Maddie," Tanner said.

"Hey bud," I said standing up. He tackled me into a hug sending me flying back to the floor.

"Are you coming by the house tonight?" Tanner asked.

"Yep," I said.

"Can we play legos together?" Tanner asked.

"Sure," I said. Sikowitz had Tanner sit in a seat at the front and I sat back down in Jade's lap in our previous position.

"Who's that?" Jade asked.

"Kodi's little brother," I said. I zoned out of the conversation until I heard Robbie and Cat singing.

♪ This kind of news is always hard to tell someone ♪ ♪ and we really hope it doesn't break your heart ♪
♪ but somebody ran ♪
♪ yeah, somebody ran ♪
♪ a woman or a man ♪
♪ maybe in a van ♪
♪ somebody ran over your go-cart ♪

"And it got crushed!" Robbie said.

"It's unfixable!" Cat said.

"Yes. Now that's how you give bad news. See, the boy's smiling," Sikowitz said.

"Yeah, that was really cool. You guys just made that song up, right now?" Tanner asked.

"Yeah," Cat said.

"Yepper-do," Robbie said. I zoned out until Jade tapped my thigh.

"Now let's talk about the new play I'm directing," Sikowitz said.