12 - Flynn

I couldn't fall asleep that night. I had a lot of stuff on my mind, like practicing for the upcoming Eiffel Tower Summer Camp Program auditions, getting ready for the performance with the Blackthorn String Quartet on Sunday, and also . . . Bree.

It had just dawned on me that I didn't even know Bree's last name. Not that that mattered, really, but still. For some reason, I just couldn't stop thinking about her. I couldn't stop thinking about the way she wore one uniform sock higher than the other and rolled the other one down, the way her uniform fit her so well in a carefree kind of way, the way she always found a way to make me almost blush - it was all just too much to take.

I had seen lots of pretty girls in my life, but . . . I didn't know why I just felt so attracted to this one girl. Was it because of the way she always smiled mischievously? Was it because of the way she had a ready response to anything I said? Was it because her purple beanie was so noticeable in a crowd?

I sighed internally. I wanted more than anything to have a chance to go to Paris with Bree, although I would never admit it to her. And . . . I also kind of wanted to know what she had wanted to say to me the other day but had told me that she would tell me in Paris if we ever had the chance. I still remembered her exact words: "If we ever get to go to Paris together, I promise I'll tell you there." What she had wanted to say remained a mystery to me even now. I guessed I wouldn't be able to find it out unless we both got accepted into the program.

I couldn't understand myself. Did I like Bree that way? But that wasn't possible. I had never had a . . . a crush on anyone in my whole entire life before. I wouldn't know what it felt like, anyway. And I was almost positive that she would never like me that way. And I thought I didn't care about that kind of stuff. The only person I had ever really needed in life was myself. And some people might always think I was such an arrogant, self-centered blowfish, but it was just the way I was. And plus, I didn't care about what other people thought of me. I was used to just doing my thing, no matter what happened or what anyone said to me.

I could figure out problems on my own. In fact, I could manage anything alone if I just put my mind to it. I didn't need anyone helping me or telling me what to do. But then again . . . maybe I did.

I wasn't exactly a criminal, but I wasn't a student with a squeaky-clean reputation, either. I had definitely . . . committed a few crimes since I started attending Seaside Heights last year, and I was a mysterious type of guy. People didn't approach me or boss me around, so that was something good about my personality. But what amazed me was how Bree had never side-eyed me or been "afraid" to approach me at first. Most people wouldn't want to talk to me, but yet she had been the one to start the conversation the day before yesterday.

At first, I had minded it since I didn't like talking to people much, especially girls, but now I realized that I quite enjoyed Bree's company. I wasn't saying that I was going to open up too easily to her yet, especially since I still didn't really know her, but I was looking forward to creating something like a friendship with her in the future. She would be a good partner in crime.

I was excited for Bree to play her piano piece tomorrow with the Blackthorn Quartet. I knew she would be amazing, and I just hoped that we would both get accepted into the Eiffel Tower Music Festival Summer Camp Program.