13 - Bree

It was now the next day, and I was going to be playing Variations on the Canon with the Blackthorn Quartet for the first time in our practice during first block. Gosh, I was so happy about missing so many classes and not even getting in trouble for it.

I took my uniform out from my closet - the navy blue school blazer, the white dress shirt, the gray pleated skirt, gray knee-high socks, and black sneakers - and grabbed my Variations on the Canon sheet music, stuffing it into my backpack. I rolled down one of my socks, tugged on my signature beanie, and tied my hair back into a ponytail as usual. I bounded down the stairs to my kitchen to eat breakfast.

It was rainy today. Kind of a surprise, since it was the end April already and far into spring. I hoped it wasn't going to rain at all in Paris (if I would actually be able to go). It probably wouldn't in the summer. I actually didn't mind rainy weather, but it obviously kind of always put down people's moods, including mine. I personally liked weather that was cool and dry but not too sunshine-y.

 I waited for the bus as the gray rain drizzled down. It finally arrived, and I stepped inside, shaking out my backpack and sending water droplets flying. Some people gave me dirty looks, but I didn't really care, as usual.

My eyes almost bugged out of my head when I saw Flynn in one of the seats, staring out the window with earphones plugged in. Huh, so I guessed we shared at least one common hobby besides playing music - listening to music.

"Hey," I approached him and nudged his arm. He turned his head with a sarcastic, aloof, and bored look on his face (he kind of always looked like that) and did a double take when he saw who it was.

"Bree?" Flynn exclaimed. I rarely saw him looking surprised, so it was kind of amusing to see that kind of expression on him. "You ride the bus, too?"

"Yeah, I always have," I replied. "Guess we just never bumped into each other before, though."

To my surprise, he scooted over to the empty seat on the inside of the bus seat and gestured to it. "Take a seat, if you want," he said coolly.

"Thanks," I slid into the seat beside him, dumping my backpack on the ground. My heart rate increased as it slowly dawned on me that I was sitting beside Flynn on a bus for the first time. The bus started moving just then.

Flynn had his navy blue uniform vest on and a white dress shirt with rolled-up sleeves, gray dress pants, and shiny black dress shoes. That was a Seaside Heights male student's everyday look (without the blazer), and the school uniform just looked so . . . flattering on him. Ugh, there I go again.

"Another boring school day up ahead," Flynn drawled, plugging in one earbud. I took out my phone and did the same. I wondered what kind of music he listened to; probably classical. 

"Yep," I said with a bored look on my face. "But at least I'll be playing Variations on the Canon with you guys during first block today."

"Oh, are you?" Flynn said, raising his eyebrows. "Well, good luck. Excited to hear you play."

"Well, I'm not," I muttered, and Flynn grinned.

"Are you auditioning for the program with that piece as well?" he asked. "That would mean you only have to pick two other pieces to audition with, then. I still haven't even decided which pieces to do."

"Well, I'm sure you have a ton of pieces to pick from," I said. "And yeah, I'm probably using Variations on the Canon to audition with. I haven't decided on the other two, though."

"Good luck with today, and for the auditions," Flynn nodded. "Although, knowing you, you probably won't need any."

"Thanks anyway," I smiled crookedly. I didn't know why I always had to smile crookedly of all things when I was with Flynn.