21 - Bree

Ugh. I was officially back to the "what should I wear?" phase. I had told Arielle that I wouldn't dress up in anything remotely fancy for the dance, but it wasn't really like I could just show up in a hoodie and jeans.

Some nicer black pants, maybe? Or a Halloween costume? Ugh, this was the most difficult wardrobe experience I had had in ages. I needed help. There were only two hours until the dance started, so I really needed to pick up the pace.

"Arielle?" She picked up on the second ring. "I need help with what I'm wearing for the dance tonight."

"Sure thing," Arielle replied readily. It already sounded like she was ready. "What do you have in your closet?"

"I . . . don't know?" I said, scratching my head. "I just have a bunch of casual stuff, nothing fancy. Which is a problem right now."

"That does sound like a problem, but I'm sure we can put something cute together, even with everyday stuff," Arielle said. "Do you have a cool jean jacket, a black leather jacket, or a bomber jacket, Bree?"

"I have all of them," I replied, taking the jackets out of my closet and holding them up. "A gray and white bomber jacket, a black leather jacket, and a medium-wash jean jacket with some pins on it."

"And . . . how about black jeans or pants?" Arielle suggested.

"I have quite a few of either. But maybe some black ripped jeans?" I said, digging in my closet.

"Sounds good," Arielle said. "Now for the shoes. Do you have black boots or cool Converse?"

"I have a lot of Converse," I said, looking down at all the worn out Converse sneakers I wore all the time. "I think white high-tops would be good."

"Great," Arielle said. "Do you have a white shirt?"

"Yup," I answered, taking it out as well. I was liking this outfit - it wasn't at all fancy or out of my comfort zone. Arielle was really good at this fashion stuff.

"Do you think you'll be wearing any accessories?" Arielle asked. "Or doing something different with your hair?"

"Um, not really," I replied. Hair had always just been a low ponytail for me, especially since it was easiest with my beanie on all the time. "Maybe I should tie a higher ponytail?"

"Sure, that's a good idea," Arielle agreed. "Maybe you could wear a different hat to the party, though."

"I have a worn out black baseball cap," I said, taking it out of my dresser.

"That'll go great with the outfit!" Arielle exclaimed. "Try it on. Does it look okay?"

I tried it on. It looked fine. At least my pink and blue bangs would still show. Just plain blonde hair was too boring and . . . ordinary. Exactly what I didn't want to be.

"Sure," I replied. "I guess that's my outfit, then. I'll just wear a bunch of bracelets, too, as usual. What are you wearing to the dance, Arielle?"

"You'll see," she answered mischievously. "Anyway, I hope you like the outift! See you there, Bree."

"Thanks so much, Arielle! See you." With that, we hung up.

It turned out that Arielle was a better friend than I had ever imagined she would be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------