32 - Flynn (Part 2)

~ One Day Later ~

"Aaaaah!! Back off!"

My ears perked up, and so did Bree's. The two of us had just finished rehearsing for our duet, and we were walking down the hallways of the AAA now.

"What was that?" Bree said warily, looking around.

"It sounded like a girl's scream," I replied, furrowing my brow. What was all of the commotion about? Nothing very interesting had happened at the AAA so far.

"Should we go check it out? People are heading that way," Bree suggested, pointing in the direction where people were rushing.

"Couldn't hurt," I agreed, shrugging. Mainly because I was secretly a very curious person, and I didn't want to keep thinking about what the commotion could have been about afterwards.

Bree and I headed in the same direction as the other people, and as we got closer, we heard more shouts and exclamations.

"Who is that?!"

"Ugh! Stop it!"

"EWWW!!"

Bree and I exchanged a perplexed glance before we finally reached the outskirts of a crowd near a circle of lockers.

But before we could see what was going on, a dark figure pushed past us, and at the same time, bits of a white powder-like substance flew threw the air and landed on our clothes.

I decided to worry about my clothes later and whipped my head to look at the dark figure, who was hightailing it down the nearest hallway. To my utter shock and horror, I recognized the dark figure as the Masked Guy.

Uh-oh. Nothing like this had ever happened before. The Masked Guy had only bothered our group of friends, and no one at the AAA had ever really cared about whether there was a mysterious criminal roaming around Paris or not. But now, the MG was taking it one step further: he was endangering the students at the AAA, too.

"I always feared that this would happen," Bree said, her voice barely above a whisper. "It's the Masked Guy. He's finally out to get us."

"We have to chase him. We still haven't figured out why people are freaking out because of him," I said, my voice urgent.

"And I don't really feel like asking everyone else about what happened, either," Bree muttered before we took off running after the Masked Guy. Although he was way ahead of us, he was still in sight. A few people from the crowd tried to follow us, but due to our superior running skills gained from multiple bouts of chasing the Masked Guy, we eventually got too fast for them to catch up.

Just then, I must have had the worst luck in the whole world, because I tripped on thin air, lunged forward, and sprawled across the marble floor, my injured leg searing with pain.

"Flynn!" Bree cried, rushing to my side. "Are you okay?!"

"I'm - fine," I lied with gritted teeth. I pulled myself up into a seated position and clutched my leg, looking at Bree. She was crouching beside me, her hands reaching out but not touching me. Even though I wasn't, I was pretending to be okay because . . . because I didn't want Bree to see the weak side of me. Maybe it was just a pride thing.

I glanced up and saw the distance between us and the Masked Guy quickly increasing. "Bree, go on without me. You have to catch him. I wouldn't have been of much use in this condition, anyway." I laughed humorlessly.

Bree sighed, shaking her head. "Flynn, you are the most annoying guy in the world sometimes."

"What's going on?" a voice said from behind us.