VII

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
A Week Later

I realized nobody should have this much power over me or my emotions so I fell back off D.

Haven't spoke with the nigga since the hotel incident, I even changed my flight to avoid him.

I put my clothes and sheets in the dirty clothes and hop in the shower.

I lather myself in Swuave and hot water, producing suds.

After I rinse myself and air dry, I do skin care, brush my teeth, and whatnot.

I get myself real cute and do my mirror twerk before I walk to the store.

"Mercedes Ian seen you down hea in a hot minute, gahdamn guhl whea you been?" The old, toothless, sweet little crackhead asked me.

"Went on a lil detox, ya heard." I chuckle.

"I see youuuu, getcho self together young lady." He snaps his fingers in slow mo.

Ion know why crackheads gotta do everything slow. That crack must slow they mf brains down.

"Aw thank you Billie."

"Of course. Aye, you gotta coupl-" He starts to beg so I walk off.

I walk up to the register with my lil items and see D and a bitch following him in. We live so close to each other it's impossible to steer clear of his ass.

Ngl for a split moment I wanted to walk into oncoming traffic but then I remember he doesn't have that effect over me anymore.

He nods his head at me and I just laugh and pay for my shit to leave.

"Hey I think I know you from somewhere." I stop the girl when D goes to look for something.

"Oh word?" She lifts her eyebrows.

"Wait what's your name?" I ask.

"Monica." She says.

"Aw shit, I was thinking of someone else." I smack my teeth.

I quickly leave before D comes back. Ion want nobody associating us wit each other and I'd hate to act like ion know him in front of his lil girlfriend.

I add her name to the list and go about my day.

I get a text and open it hella confused, forgetting it's what I saved Antwon's number under.

Braiding Lady

Hey wsg

Nun, shit boring 🤷🏾‍♀️

Well shii, ft?

I feel a prick of guilt, texting him back but I have to remind myself I'm single and not cheating on nobody.

I FaceTime him with my phone to the ceiling. He answers quick.

"Why am I looking at the ceiling?" He asks immediately and I start laughing.

I put my face in the camera and observe his camera face.

I could fall asleep with him on ft and not wake up and get jumpscared.

"Why you bored?" He asks.

"Ian got to work till tomorrow and ion got nobody to fuck wit right now." I explain.