XXXII

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"We here." I get out and she gives me my keys.

I walk her to my apartment.

"Damn." I read my phone.

"What?" She scrunches her face up.

"D said he gotta lay low fa tonight. He was tryna see you but the jakes is on his ass. He said he'll try to visit tomorrow." I lie.

I'm high not dumb. I seen Juju finna beat her ass in McDonald's. Even if I don't like the bitch, I hate seeing females get beat on.

And I know if D seen that he would shot that nigga right then and there. I'm not a killer but I'll try to do something.

"Do I gotta stay here?" She frowns.

"Yes, D's instructions." I nod.

"He hasn't texted or called me." She squints at me.

"Duh, he's on the run. It's difficult for him to be contacting us. He's using a burner." I shrug.

"Mhmm, but if you tryna set me up my brother gon kill yo ass." She mugs me.

"Yo brother not gone do shit to me anddd you not worth setting up." I roll my neck.

"I got pepper spray and I been looking fa a reason to use it on yo ass." She clutches her purse.

"Guhl hush." I start to pour myself a glass of water.

"What are you doing?" She looks at me funny.

Come to find out I forgot the water I was trying to pour. I was holding onto air but I could've sworn I just grabbed the water jug?

"It's hot as hell in here." I fan myself off.

"There's 2 fans on?" She gives me a strange look.

"There's towels and covers in that linen closet. You can have my McDonald's and my fridge full. Having a fucking ball. I'm going to sleep this shit off." I head to my room.

...

"Moonshine, you're good at helping people. Help me help somebody." I called Moonshine.

"Yea but it depends because I am not God." She laughs.

"So say someone you know was in an abusive relationship-" I start.

"LEMME GET MY PISTOL-"

"Noooo, it's not me! Let me finish."

"My bad. Already know how I'm coming behind you." She sighs.

"I know, trust me. But it's someone I know she's getting beat on and ion know how to help her. She's doesn't even like me and I can barely stand her either." I try to explain.

"That's sad, you know her family?" She asks.

"It's one of my ex entanglemens' family members." I say honestly.

"Knowing your type he prolly a criminal so tell him. He'll probably shoot the nigga assum."

"I can't get in contact with him tho." I sigh.

"Tell her mom."

"Her mom hates me and I think the girl will hate me even more if I tell her family. And she doesn't even know that I know he's hitting on her." I explain.

"It's not about her hating you, it's about her well-being. Even if she hate your fucking guts afterwards you might just save her life." She lectures.

"You right, you right." I nod.