LXXI

Mercedes April Harris
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

A warm pair of arms secure me as I wake up. I ain't even know D came back last night. I hope he off his period now.

"Dequavince." I whisper yell, shaking his arm vigorously.

"Msjjxjcjsaks." He mumbles tiredly.

"Baby feel." I take his hand and place it on my bare stomach so he can feel the baby kicking.

"Hell is that?" His eyes flutter open.

"Yo son woke me up abusing me." I say and he chuckles.

"Damn." He smiles and rubs my belly. "I can't wait to see what he look like."

"Mhm I'm glad you finally got to feel it, I felt bad he kept stopping whenever I told you."

"Me too, it hurt being dubbed by yo unborn child." He sighs.

I work my way up off of the bed and head to the bathroom. D follows me shortly after.

"We good?" I ask him.

"We always gone be good." He kisses my cheek.

"We gotta think of baby names expeditiously." I put the toilet lid down and sit down.

"We agreed on Messiah tho."

"Yea but for the other one. Let's think of a girl one in case we get a girl the second time." I say and he makes an O.

"Let's make her middle name a Greek goddess too." He suggests.

"Aphrodite?"

"Aight what about her first name?" I agree on the middle name.

"What about Dequayva?" He says genuinely.

I try to hold back my laugh but I crack up in his face.

"Nah wait-" I start to apologize.

"Fuck is you laughing at, you wanted to name our son sum fucking Parenthesis." He mugs me.

"It was Perseus and it was cute." I roll my eyes.

"No it wasn't." He walks out to grab his ringing phone.

I start to brush my teeth and do my skincare routine.

"Aye I gotta head out." He says coming back into the bathroom, I rinse my mouth quickly so I can respond.

"Where? Is you doing legal shit or street shit?" I squint as he starts playing with his hair and shit.

"Ion like when you go to that dirty ass crackhead house like what if the police bust in that hoe and arrest you." I mug him.

"It got raided just na, I gotta help my niggas, sum of em got arrested." He sighs.

"Aw hell you gone bail them out?"

"Yea, if they get bail." He shakes his head.

Dequavince Demaro Harris
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"How the fuck that happen?" I ask Middle Man as he gets in my car.

He managed to get out the window and avoid getting arrested. Ion know what happened to the others tho.

"Ion know cuh, we was flushing shit and I took as much of the money with me I could." He pulled a couple racks out of his pockets.

"Damn how many people was arrested?" I ask.

"I left but I know of at least 12 that ain't make it out." He sighs.

"I'm glad I wasn't there cuz I got a baby on the way but I'm still pissed the jakes arrested allum, fuck." I start driving towards the trap.