XXXIX

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Wake up."

"Get up."

I look up at Quicc shaking me awake.

"I'm finna leave and somebody keep knocking." He tells me before putting his shoes on.

"Oh shit." I mumble getting out of bed.

"It's a nigga, I thought yeen have a nigga." He tilts his head to the side.

"I don't." I say honestly.

The door clicks, being unlocked by D's key making me panic.

"Oh shit, hide." I scream whisper.

"Ian hiding no damn where. Grown ass man, fuck imma hide from?" He sits on my bed.

"Please, please, pleaseeee." I beg.

The door opens and I hear footsteps.

"Get in the bathroom, pleasseeee Quicc." I shoo him away.

He stares at me for a second before shaking his head and walking in the bathroom.

"Why ain't you answer the damn do'!?" D yells coming into my room.

"Bitch I just fucking woke up!' I scream back.

He immediately grabs my neck with one hand, taking me by surprise.

"Say it again." He tells me.

I stay silent, mugging him.

"I let you get away with that shit in front of my family but I'm fucking you up the next time. Ain't nobody no bitch, aight?" He tightens his grip.

"Y-yes." My voice cracks.

"The fuck I thought." He sits down on my bed.

"Can you go get me a drank fa my throat?" I cough.

He leaves out the room. I rush to the bathroom and usher Quicc behind the bedroom door.

I go in the bathroom and when D comes back with my water I wave him to the bathroom.

"Come in the bathroom." I tell him.

He walks over to me as Quicc silently and smoothly leaves my room behind him making me sigh of relief.

"Thank you." I mumble.

I lean on the sink for support while I drink my sprite.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Tell me yo side of the story." He nods at me.

The front door creaks open and closes swiftly. D pull his gun out and creeps into the living room.

"Ain't nobody there, false alarm." He walks back in the bathroom.

"Anywayssss, now you tryna hear out my side of the story but last night you kicked me out like sum random hoe." I scrunch my face up.

"You knew what my sister was going through and still ain't tell me. It's givin opp." He shrugs.

"Boi I am not no damn opp." I look at him crazy.

"Yea aight."

I brush my teeth and wash my face off before turning my attention back to him.

I explain to him what I saw at McDonald's and everything she told me that night.

"I'm glad you was looking out fa ha when I was gone even if youn like ha." He nods.