L

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Imma trap you." I smile.

"You can't trap someone who don't wanna leave. Shiiid imma end up trapping you." D chuckles.

"How you gone trap me with something I want?" I scrunch my face up.

"That's exactly how." He smiles maliciously.

"Knowing you... you gone find a way." I shake my head.

I sit on the bathroom counter with him standing in between my legs. He reaches down and kisses me before walking away.

"Aight, call me when you come back. I'm goin wit Carter to the dealership." He says.

"I will." I hop off the sink to finish my makeup.

"Bye, see you later." He comes back and kisses me again.

"I love you." I say.

"I love you mo." He leaves.

I grab my purse and keys to go. He pulls out of the garage and I wave before getting in my car.

...

"Where is my mother?" I ask walking in.

"So it's fuck me huh?" My dad mumbles.

"Boy I'm not checking for you right now." I wave him off.

"Say sike right na." He stands up.

"I'm kidding daddy, how are you?" I smile.

"I'm fine baby." He hugs me.

"Aight now I'm here to talk to the woman of the house." I say.

"Yes?" Toya peaks her head out the room.

"Lil guhl you ain't the head of nun. Whatchu need baby?" My mom responds pushing past her.

"It's a uh, private matter." I say, seeing my sisters coming out to earhustle.

"Backyard." She gestures towards it.

We walk outside and close the door. She leans against it and I gather my strength. I really want a baby and I wanna know what my mama thinks.

"I wanna have a baby." I whisper.

"A what?" She looks at me crazy.

"A baby." I stomp.

"I can't be hearing you right." She laughs.

"What's so funny momma?" I frown.

"Honey you're recovering from an addiction with no husband or house." She shakes her head.

"I can't relapse if I'm pregnant, I wouldn't risk my baby life like that. Besides you had no husband or house when you had me. I have a boyfriend and I can afford a house." I shrug.

"With all due respect I didn't want you. I didn't plan to have you, I mean I thank God everyday for having you and I would do it all again, but it certainly wasn't ideal circumstances." She explains.

"D said if I really want one he's going to be there for me. I'm financially stable and I have parenting skills from dealing with Toy and Ke." I pout.

"I get you and D would be good parents but still... would you really want to have a baby with someone with his lifestyle? And y'all fight all the damn time, that's no environment to raise a child in." She shakes her head.