XX

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"He just out there living life!" I cried to my parents.

"Now had you left him alone like we told you, you wouldn't be so worried bout this nigga." My mom shrugged.

My dad gave her a dirty look and continued to rub my back as I sat on his knee with my arms around his neck like a big baby.

"You know it's true honey. She shouldn't be crying over a nigga, period." My mom shook her head.

"How you know he's doing fine without you?" My dad asks.

"I looked at his story." I bury my face in his shirt.

"Stop watching that boy's stories." He said.

"Why'd you stop talking to him?" My mom sits down next to us on the couch.

"..." I ignore her.

"What'd he do?"

I hate to cry to people about somebody I'm on and off with. I hate to alter their perception of him but they already hate him. Plus it hurts to keep this to myself and my parents always make me feel better.

"Why am I so hurt and he doesn't even care?" I sigh.

"He probably is, men just pretend not to. Society paints them out to be weak by expressing his feelings so he thinks acting unbothered is the more 'manly' thing to do." My mom explains.

My mom is a college psychology professor and she likes to analyze situations.

"Screw society, he should be in my DMS threatening to kill himself, not living his best life." I cry harder.

"Honey..." My mom takes off her reading glasses and lays her head on her hand.

"You gotta stop stressing yourself out like this." She adds.

"Nah forreal. I say you find a nice, rich lil white boy to be with." My dad suggests.

"It's not that easy, I only want himmm." I whine.

"This is what happens when you spoil children, they end up like this." My mom tells my dad, pointing at me.

"What's wrong wit my child?" He mugs her.

"You den babied her so much dats why she cry so damn much. She like a damn sponge." My mom laughs.

"Daddy get your wife, she's hurting my feelings." I sniffle.

"Don't you have something else to be doing other than hating on me and my daughter's bond?" He waves her away.

"Yea I gotta pick up the other children you've spoiled." She grabs her keys off the coffee table.

"Don't worry baby she's leaving." My dad pats my back.

"Fuck y'all." She mugs us before leaving.

"Now, you want me to kill the nigga?" He asks me.

"Nawlll." I shake my head.

"You gone wait on Keke and Toya to come home from Uncle Earl's?"

"Nahhh, I gotta booking I gotta get to. I'm just wasting time." I sigh, getting up.

"You bet not be overworking yoself to distract yoself from what happened with this boy." He squints his eyes at me.

"Whaaaat? You know I wouldn't do that." I lie.

"Mhm, I'a kill ya dead if I find out you working yaself to death." He mugs me.

"I'm not but I gotta get my bag." I shrug.