Chapter Four

Gulf felt like he was coming out of sleep. He tried to move when he suddenly heard voices around him.

"Luk... you're awake now. Thank God."

It was the voice of his Auntie Min.

Gulf turned to his side as tears fell from his eyes.

Just how many times does he have to escape death to suffer?

Gulf felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Luk... don't do that again, okay? You still have me."

Gulf felt the concern in his Auntie Min's voice. She must've been so worried about what he did.

Since he and Gam were kids, the one who took care of them the most was their Auntie Min.

Sometimes, Gulf wondered if they were Auntie Min's favorites among all the orphaned children.

She cared for them and showed them affection like a real mother does to her kids.

"Luk... I know everything seems too much for you, but I want you to know that Mae will always be here for you."

Gulf was confused by what he heard. Mae?

"I'll take you in. I will take care of you as my own. So, please, don't do that again."

Tears fell even more from Gulf's eyes. Just as Gulf thought he was left alone, someone would take him in.

Gulf reached for Auntie Min to hug her.

"Thank you, m-mae..."

Auntie Min hugged him back and patted his head.

"That's right, luk. I'm your mom now."

"If this is my fate, I don't have a choice but to accept it. I won't waste this life You've given me. Forgive me, God, for trying to take something that's not mine."

--------------------------------------------------------

<House of Hope Orphanage, Chiang Mai; 1 year after>

After what happened to Gulf, his auntie Min, now his mom, never left him.

She supported Gulf and encouraged him to make the most of this life.

Currently, Gulf works as a desk assistant at the orphanage.

In a year, he mastered the Braille alphabet. With the help of this writing system, Gulf was able to find a job.

Most of the things he uses as a desk assistant also utilize braille and audio software to aid him in his job.

With his persistence and determination, he was also able to walk again.

Despite his disability, he does his best in his job.

He's earning a monthly income, which helps them with their expenses.

When Min took him in, that was the only time he learned she was alone in life.

Just like him, she doesn't have anyone in her life.

But now, she already has him, and Gulf will do his best to help out his mom.

While working on some files, he heard his mom cough.

For others, it might sound like she's only having an itchy throat or a simple cold.

But Gulf knew his mom too well. He practically grew up under her care, so he knows.

"Mae... are you okay? You've been having that cough for quite a while now." Gulf said as he directed his body toward the direction of his mom's voice.

"I'm fine, luk. Maybe this is just an allergy. I might've eaten something." His mom said.