Chapter VIII

"Hello, Lord Hokage, it's nice to see you here today." Itachi bowed and sat before the council, 4 people including the Hokage, each of whom garnered much respect. He made a motion of acknowledgment so he nodded towards them. "As well as you all, the esteemed councilmen and councilwoman." I need to make sure that everything here goes well. Itachi thought as he gazed at each distinguished elder and the Hokage.

This is my last chance.

"We are here to discuss the Uchiha. With the information you've given us, the council has voted to act. In which manner, that is up for discussion." Koharu announced. She had grey hair tied in two adjacent buns pierced by a pin. She wore a simple long kimono closed by an obi, jacket, and a sash over it.

"Bah." Danzo grumbled. He had bandages wrapped around his right eye, along with an x-shaped scar on his chin. His hair was black and shaggy, and he wore a white shirt with a black robe over it, containing his right arm, which was held in a manner like the arm was broken. "What is there to discuss? They're traitors to the village." He spat out the word 'traitor' like a poison.

"We aren't traitors yet, Danzo." Itachi's eyes flickered as he spoke. "But what the clan is doing is extremely worrying. They are gearing up for civil war against the village."

"Indeed they are. However, they aren't mobilising fast enough where we have to strike first," Hiruzen stated. "There is still room for negotiations." Off to the side, Itachi nodded slightly in agreement. A silent thank you was given for the old professor.

Danzo slammed his fist down on the table they all sat at, leaving spiderweb cracks over the polished wood table. "Hiruzen, how many times do I have to tell you that your blind pacifism and idealistic view will get in the way of the bigger picture? We don't have the leeway to go through peace negotiations."

"Not only that, but the Uchiha's resentment is likely not sudden. They must've been festering in their own hatred. Tobirama-sensei always said that the Uchiha were always quite prone to emotion, specifically hate." Homura said. He had grey hair, a beard, glasses, and a frown on his face. He wore similar garbs to the Hokage.

"I understand your points, but I think we should consider it from their view and try to negotiate. It would be a shame if one of our founding clans was dismantled due to something we could've avoided." Danzo gave a disgruntled sigh. "Besides, I doubt that the clan would be so crass as to attempt an attack during peace negotiations." At this, Homura and Koharu nodded in agreement. "Then that will be it. I will send an ambassador to negotiate with the Uchiha." Hiruzen turned and left. Itachi donned his ANBU mask, a crow, and  leapt out of the balcony. The elders all began to file out of the room, one by one.

As Itachi ran across the roofs of buildings, rain began to fall, staining his clothes and leaving behind a chorus of pitter patter as it went. The moon shone dimly in the sky. Maybe we'll survive this, Itachi pondered with a smile behind the mask, which promptly melted off his face. But I somehow doubt that everything will go perfectly. Itachi landed in the Uchiha district, and he stepped into his home, opening the door.

"Hello father." Itachi greeted as he tossed the porcelain mask on the table with a clatter. Orange light was cast from multiple oil lamps hanging on surfaces and from the roof. Itachi sat down on a simple wooden chair.

"Hello. How were the negotiations?" Fugaku inquired, smiling, even though Itachi could see something else, something melancholy from his smile.

"Danzo and the elders were antagonising the clan the whole meeting. Thankfully the Hokage would listen to reason." As Itachi continued to detail the events of the meeting, Fugaku scratched at his neck.

"I see. So they're opening up peace talks now?" He chuckled bitterly. "If only they had done that sooner. The clan will have no less than blood to satiate their rage at the village administration for what they've done."

"It doesn't have to be this way." Itachi stated, downcast. So it's back to this, is it? Well, I need to continue my endeavours. Fugaku gave out a loose rattle of breath. "Well, those problems are for another day. Go get some rest. You'll need it for what we need tomorrow." As he left the room, Itachi placed his hands on the table as he began to ruminate, a glass of water left next to his right arm. Thanks, mom. He took a light sip from the glass as he gazed out the window.

Is this really what I want? Itachi considered. No. I'm no slave to my family. But even so, I don't want my family to crumble. The best case scenario for me is that the negotiations go well. But if that fails, then what? A slight creaking was audible as Itachi turned towards the source of the noise. Sasuke. He smiled as Sasuke ran up to him and gave him a hug. Well, I guess I have a reason to keep moving forward.

"You should go to sleep, Sasuke. The moon's already been out for a long time." He smirked.

"I'm not going to sleep until you do!" Sasuke pouted, puffing his cheeks out.

Itachi gave a good-natured sigh. "Alright then. Go back to bed." Sasuke rushed back to bed. Itachi, confident that he wouldn't be interrupted, continued to plan. If the worst truly comes, then I have to ensure Sasuke's safety. But how? What do I have that will ensure his safety? He sat, eyes closed, as he desperately searched for anything that he could use as leverage. Let's say that I am ordered to kill the clan. What do I do so Sasuke's safe? I can't leave my family alive. Things are shifting. A thought struck him. Sayuri, too. I have to find a way to keep them both alive. Neither of them know of the rebellion, so maybe I can use that to my advantage.

Another thought drifted to him. Danzo. What am I going to do about him? He'll surely try to recruit them or take their eyes. What can I do? As an ANBU, I know many secrets, like Naruto's parentage. If that were to get out, then maybe that'll be enough. He rose and stretched his arms, yawning. Well, that's for another day. 

The front door swung open slowly, revealing a young woman with chocolate brown hair which reached the small of her back, bangs framing her face. She wore a high collared purple shirt with navy pants, and on her forehead, the standard Konoha headband. She was as old as Itachi. He smiled.

"Hello, Itachi. It's good to see you home." She wore a warm smile herself as she pulled out a seat next to Itachi.

"Hello, Izumi." Itachi's smile was thin, and it occasionally twitched. Izumi gazed at Itachi's face, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Something's not right," she observed. "What happened?"

Itachi sighed, the smile melting into an expression of worry. "I don't know what's going to happen. I'm afraid that my family will be torn to pieces, and there's nothing I can really do about it." Itachi looked down, his lips curling into an open frown. "I'm afraid that my family will be destroyed." He buried his head in his hands. "I don't want them to fight. If the clan declares war, then I'll lose everything." Izumi wrapped an arm around his shoulder. Itachi physically relaxed, some tension leaving his shoulders. She continued her ministrations, rubbing his back softly.

"It'll be alright, won't it? They're opening up peace talks," she whispered. "Change is coming. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe not. But we don't know." She smiled. "That first step is everything. Just like it was for us." Itachi smiled, and the two embraced, listening to the comforting rain and the soft crackling of fire within the lanterns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have returned.

Another chapter coming next week.

Things are coming, things that cannot be avoided. 

And now to break the somber mood!

Review! Review! Review!

*Continues chanting*