Chapter XII

"We will start the foundations of ninjutsu today." Iruka announced.

They had been training with throwing weapons for just a year. Sparring and by extension, hand-to-hand -often shortened to taijutsu by the ninja communities worldwide- had been a part of their curriculum for the past six months.

"The first thing that we'll do is the foundation of all ninjutsu, hand seals." A large scroll unfurled over the blackboard, displaying thirteen different hand configurations.

"These are the hand seals that most shinobi use. The tiger, snake, ram, hare, horse, dog, monkey, boar, rat, dragon, ox, bird, and a specialised clone hand seal."

Naruto observed the hand seals in the order that Iruka mentioned.

"I would like for you to study these, as we will use these later to form our academy ninjutsu. For today, we will focus on honing our hand seal accuracy and speed."

A hand rose. It was Sakura's. "Um, Iruka-sensei? Why would hand seal accuracy and speed be necessary?"

Iruka looked in her direction. "Good question. In shinobi combat, forming the hand seals for a crucial technique can and will be the difference between life and death. Hand seals are used to channel chakra correctly, so incorrect hand seal form can lead to disastrous consequences. Any other questions?" No one raised their hands. "Alright then, let's begin. Myself and an assistant will go around fixing hand seal form and answering any additional questions you may have."

He clapped his hands as a lean woman appeared with a flourish, wearing standard Konoha-nin gear. Green vest, forehead protector, grey undershirt, red swirl on the back (which Naruto immediately recognized as his clan's symbol), black pants and sandals.

"So are we ready to begin, Iruka?" She addressed him very formally, like colleagues would, which Naruto supposed, they were.

"Yes, we are." And so, Naruto slept through the whole thing after flawlessly demonstrating all thirteen hand seals, including some others that Iruka didn't even know of, like the yang water seal that Tobirama used so often to unleash his famed water dragons upon his opponents. 

A technique that would normally require a grand total of forty-four hand seals, Tobirama shortened to a total of two.

Sasuke and Sayuri were also finished just as quickly, with Sasuke casting illusions over both Iruka and the assistant, pretending to have done the hand seals, using his Sharingan. Neither of them noticed it. He looked at Naruto and broke into a wide grin. Even feeble genjutsu with absolutely no staying power are mighty in the right hands, Madara thought, grinning. He's already doing well, even with such an immature Sharingan.

"Hey that's dirty," Naruto gave a mischievous grin. He couldn't help it, that trick was very good.

"I could do it, and those hand seals are easy. What's the point of actually doing the hand seals?" Naruto pondered it as Sasuke shrugged. "Like I said, a pointless exercise."

Sayuri had just finished demonstrating all of the hand seals. She bounded towards the two of them. "Well that was easy." She giggled out.

"I wonder if I could cause some mischief like this," Naruto began. The twin Uchiha began to frantically shake their heads, attempting to dissuade Naruto from his devious nature. This effort was to no avail however, as a large grin spread over Naruto's face. He flashed through a set of hand seals.

Tiger- Ram- Bird- Ox- Dog- Bird.

"Wind release: Divine Winds," Naruto whispered as multiple gusts blew throughout the room. Iruka looked mildly alarmed, his eyes widening slightly. Multiple papers were scattered as the assistant ran through her own set of hand seals, which Naruto observed with great interest.