Chapter 44

"... What?"

Sayuri, exhausted as she was, didn't have much energy to swing her sword, or perform jutsu, or do... anything, really. With what energy she did have, she scowled.

The Hokage sighed. "I know you heard me. I don't need to repeat myself."

"No..." she whispered.

"This is the truth. I am sorry for hiding it from you, when that was your entire goal all along. I thought that it would be devastating to you."

She slumped against a tree, and, at that moment, only one question came to mind.

"Why? Why would they do this?"

Hiruzen sighed. "It stems from the very beginning of Konoha's founding. The decision to make Hashirama the Hokage instead of Madara may have separated him from his clan, but the Uchiha clan eventually began to side with him. They were dissatisfied, that they were one of the founding clans, and yet they'd been disrespected, always pushed away in favour of the Senju."

"And... who knew?"

"Of the living, only my former teammates. Of the Uchiha Clan... I have good reason to believe that only you and Sasuke were the ones unaware of the plan. The children were to be killed, for they were going to storm the academies and take the students hostage, with help from a few adults. The risk of them growing vengeful and catching the clan heirs to kill was also too great a risk."

Tsunade stood, silent, before bounding off back to Konoha, unshed tears beginning to form.

"So... I didn't know... because..."

"Fugaku would not involve his dearest twins in his treachery. He could not afford that luxury with his elder son, one of the most talented Uchiha, recognised within the village as an inspiration. He was a double agent, to report falsehoods to me, and leak useful information to the clan.

Of course, he chose to pick the village over his kin. Whether that was an objectively moral decision, or not, depends on what your beliefs are."

Naruto frowned. "Danzo? What was he doing?"

"I kept him under close surveillance during this time period. He did not interfere much. From what I could gather, Danzo did kill Shisui. I didn't condone it, but I understand why he did it. He's always been... the more proactive one." Naruto turned to face Hiruzen so quickly, Sayuri thought that he'd snapped his neck.

"After this, he approached Itachi, and gave him the ultimatum. Kill the clan, and he could spare Izumi, you, and Sasuke, provided that Izumi also flee."

Naruto frowned. "But, if that's true, why's she dead? Why did you force her to leave, too?"

Hiruzen nodded. "We don't know what happened there either. Either there was a fight, or she surprised him, or shenanigans were at play, but the fact is that she died that night. As for the other question, it was to give Itachi an incentive, and to avoid another target. Having her entire family killed and being unable to ever see her lover outside the battlefield could cause her to become a great danger to us."

Sayuri held her head in her hands, and Naruto wrapped an arm around her. "Again, I'm sorry. I did not want it to end this way, but this was simply the way the events played out. In another time, in another place, perhaps reconciliation would be possible. Unfortunately, that was not possible here."

Sayuri clenched her fist, and shut her eyes.

"... Did you ever care about me? How much have you kept from me?"

Hiruzen paused, and shook his head. "I treated you as I did any other ninja who had your track record. That was my vow, to regard all citizens of Konoha equally, and with care."