Chapter 12

Sayuri Uchiha was probably the most normal of her team.

Sure, she had some issues, like not knowing her limits and striving obsessively towards success, but...

Kakashi was a trauma-riddled wreck, Naruto tunnel visioned on his goal to personal detriment, and Sasuke well... he was Sasuke.

It wasn't like she was above the sanity curve, no. Pretty far from it. But compared to them?

Yeah. It wasn't even a contest.

The meat on the barbeque sizzled. "Choji, don't eat so much. The rest of us want some too, y'know!"

"Sorry Ino, but this is too good!" Choji practically inhaled another slab of beef. Geez, that's so much food. No wonder Asuma-sensei always complains about money.

Asuma chuckled. "Come on Choji, at least share some." Shikamaru began to snore.

"... And there goes lazyhead," Ino sighed. She turned to Naruto. "So what was that about Sakura, anyway?"

"I told you. She's finally mellowed out." He picked off a pork slice. "Now I only have to deal with remnant Sayuri fanboys."

Ino smiled. "Now I don't have any competition!" Sasuke glared, blood-red irises taking the place of his ordinary onyx.

Asuma regarded the scene next to him. "Calm down. No need to start a fight here."

Sasuke exhaled, the tomoe in his eyes expanding to become his irises.

Shikamaru sighed. "Women, troublesome as always, huh?"

Ino slapped Shikamaru upside the head. "Not my fault!" Sayuri smirked wider. She certainly keeps the two in check... thankfully I don't have to outside the battlefield.

The bells at the door jingled and Kakashi walked in, book in hand. "Hope I'm not late."

Asuma waved. "No, not terribly late. I was expecting you to come in sooner, but I suppose old habits die hard."

"I'm glad you understand."

"It's fine, but I have something I want to talk to you about later." Kakashi nodded.

Naruto burped and got up. "Thanks for the food, Choji. Gotta go."

The Akimichi heir smiled. "No problem, Naruto."

Sayuri and Sasuke both rose too. "I'm going to leave. Thank you." Choji waved the both of them goodbye.

They both found Naruto in a training field.

Blade drawn, he ran his hand from the tip of the back all the way down to the hilt. He pointed the tip at a dummy, and water erupted out in a jet. A hole was punched through the strawman, then through the nearby trees. What is that?

He turned. "Hey there. Why are you here?"

"I wanted to see what you were doing and Sasuke tagged along." He waved innocently, a valiant attempt to dissuade any and all attention.

"So what was that anyway? A chakra waterjet? No, it's too strong." Naruto shrugged.

"I've been experimenting with the effects of pumping and enhancing the chakra in my sword. I can do this with wind." He drew his blade again, and when he slashed, wind flew out of the blade in an arc, severing trees and rock with no distinction.

"Can I try?" Sayuri asked. Naruto gave her the blade.

She inhaled and focused on her chakra core, the spherical organ between her lung and liver. Pure, unfiltered fire chakra flowed into the blade and a wave of fire spread from the tip.