Chapter 31

To say that Sayuri was annoyed was of similar magnitude to saying the universe was fairly big.

She was pissed.

"Can you two check into the inn? I'm going to go get some supplies for us." he said, clearly ogling a scantily-clad woman who'd blown him a kiss.

Whatever you say, old man. We both know you're just trying to get us out of your hair.

Jiraiya was powerful, sure, and his moments of competence weren't unappreciated.

But did he really have to play this far into the old pervert persona? Abandoning two very politically valuable children in a well-known tourist destination just to chase some tail?

"Sayuri, I know you're pissed, but please stop leaking your chakra all over the place. You're scaring the civilians."

A large circle had formed around the two as tourists gave them a wide berth.

She blinked. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I get it, and I'm kinda pissed too. Do you want to let it out later?"

"Yeah. Please."

I can't help but feel like something has gone terribly wrong...

Kakashi was taking a routine stroll around the village when he saw them.

Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki.

What in the...

The initial surprise faded quickly, however, and Hound began to work his magic, the magic that had kept him alive for decades in a profession with the average lifespan of four years.

I can't take them on alone. So, with that said, who can?

He looked at his watch. Seven in the morning.

Come to think of it, Gai is usually doing his morning laps at this time...

He poked his thumb with a needle and formed seals.

Boar- Dog- Bird- Monkey- Ram.

Summoning! Pakkun!

His familiar dog appeared in a puff of smoke.

What do you need, boss? Pakkun's voice rang in his head.

Itachi Uchiha is in the tea shop I'm standing outside of. I need you to go get Gai, immediately. He should be running laps. Tell him to go to the canal near the west end. After you get Gai, I'm going to need you to grab every single Jonin you can find, okay?

Got it, boss. He jumped off.

"Hey, Itachi. Been a while, huh?"

The man got up from his seat and motioned to his partner.

"You know, I was wondering how long it would take for me to be noticed. You need better detection systems."

Kakashi prepared to fight, but Itachi and Kisame flickered onto the water.

He followed in hot pursuit, lifting his headband.

He landed on the water, and Gai touched down right next to him.

"I can't believe that he came back," Gai said. "And, you, next to Itachi. Who are you?"

"Kisame Hoshigaki. A pleasure to meet you."

"You're not supposed to be here any more, Itachi!"

"What do you mean, 'supposed to', Kakashi? You make it sound like there was some grand plan," Itachi replied.