Chapter 11

He knew that the masked boy, Haku, was strong, if Sakura's statements were anything to go by.

But he wasn't expecting this. Far from it.

"I'll say it again. I don't want to kill you two. But for the person precious to me, I'll fight you. I've never wanted to fully become a shinobi." He paused. "But I'll kill my feelings and with it, you and my innocence." I don't think you want to do that.

Naruto stood up. "Why do you fight? Why do you stand against me in such a hopeless situation? What is your motivation?" Haku asked.

"'Cause I don't ever give up. I need strength to protect my close friends." Haku nodded.

"That's good. But we are both in the way of each other's dreams." He blurred away again.

He tapped Sayuri on the shoulder. "How much chakra do you have left?"

She shrugged. "Probably just enough for another fireball."

"... I guess this is the last shot we get to escape. We can't waste this. Use your sharingan to get the timing perfect." Last shot, Naruto. Get your head in the game.

Naruto formed a hand seal.

Clone.

Multiple Naruto's burst from a cloud of smoke. Each of them dashed towards a mirror.

Naruto could see movement trails of where Haku moved.

But it wasn't enough.

Fire unfurled from Sayuri's mouth and crossed one of the blurs.

Naruto was thrown back, but a cursory glance at Haku showed that his obi was singed. Damn.

Sayuri was scratched by another needle.

Naruto huffed. Sayuri's chakra was nearly all gone, and he had nothing that could break through the mirrors.

Want my help? Kurama asked.

I've already taken as much of your chakra as I can take, Kurama. The fox snorted.

Suit yourself then.

Sayuri dashed away from another burst of senbon.

And then Naruto saw it.

A barrage of senbon, aimed right at him.

He skidded to the floor.

Sayuri had taken his place in death. She stood above him, needles stuck on her body every which way. Her glasses, broken, clattered to the floor.

"Sayuri! No! Why!"

Sayuri hacked out blood and spittle. "I don't know ... myself. I moved, without... thought. But... I have one ... request."

Naruto caught her before she hit the ground. "Anything."

"When you make it out... if I die here... use my eyes. Uncover the truth of... that night. And, no matter what... don't you die until you've made... peace." And she slumped over.

"So how does that feel? The pain of losing those close to you... that is why we cast away our feelings early. So we don't get too attached."

Unabashed tears slid down Naruto's face. His breathing became hyper. The world blurred and lost all cohesion.

It was just like what happened with Shisui. He wasn't strong enough to help his loved ones, again.

"Amaterasu." Black flames fanned out over a mirror and incinerated it. With it, the rest exploded.