Chapter 13

"So we're going to take another mission?" Naruto asked.

Kakashi gave a wry smile behind the mask. "Yeah. The Hokage will tell you all more." He waved to the chunin attendant. "Greetings."

The attendant bowed. "What do you need, Hatake?"

"I'd like to request a mission right now." The chunin nodded.

"Very well then. There's one other team in the office right now. You are granted entry."

The four came across Team 10, all standing before the stacks of paper and sprawl of scrolls that littered the Hokage's desk.

"Ah, Team Seven. I think that I have a dual mission for your teams to complete."

Kakashi bowed. "What is it, Lord Hokage?"

The Hokage puffed out a cloud of smoke. "This is an A-rank mission. Your job is to apprehend a rogue ninja in the Land of Hot Water. From reports, they seem dead-set on the Hidden Steam Village. They are reported to be highly dangerous, so don't hesitate to kill them."

"You have to evacuate any potential civilians or injured and capture the rogue ninja." Asuma smiled.

"Well then father, you've picked the right teams. We specialise in detaining enemies. And Kakashi's team is all about offence."

Sayuri stepped up. "Permission to speak, Lord Hokage?"

"Granted." He nodded.

"Why not pick a more suitable squad for this mission?"

"We send as many ninja as possible on missions to generate revenue for the village, so we're constantly short-staffed. The exceptions are public events like the Chunin Selection Exams." He turned to Asuma."Then you'll accept? These are your genin, and if they die, there will be some very heavy punishments."

Asuma crossed his arms. "I'll protect them with my life."

"I'll take that as a yes. Kakashi, I trust that you'll see this mission to its conclusion."

"Of course."

The eight left the office and Kakashi began speaking."We're going full speed to the Hidden Steam village and we'll depart in twenty minutes. If you don't come, we're not waiting for you. Get ready."

They all scattered in various-sized groups, Sayuri touching down on a rooftop alongside her teammates.

"You think this'll go well?" Sasuke asked.

"Yeah. This isn't a very hard mission. Just detain one person. Should be simple," Naruto explained.

"It's so simple, but the client is paying a lot of money. It's one of our allies too. The Land of Hot Water."

"True. It's weird. We'll figure it out later though."

She grabbed a whetstone and began to drag her blade across the rough surface. The screech of the metal always brought comfort to her, even if others called the sound annoying.

The grating was progress.

Taiko, her now deceased sensei, had said during her first session that the sword was reflective of a person's character; a sharpened blade led to a honed mind; a dull blade, a negligent, uncaring person.

Sayuri packed reels of wire, sealed some extra weaponry and slid her blade back into the scabbard. Time to go.

The eight met up at the gates into Konoha. "Ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go."

"This is going to be so troublesome. Fine, let's get this over with."

Choji tossed a chip in his mouth.