Chapter 38

Hinata was very much an early riser.

Some people joked that she brought the sun after her when she woke, with how consistently her rise was followed by the sun.

She rolled out of bed and flicked the lights on.

She slid the door open and locked eyes with her father.

"You're up. Good. I was going to come find you myself."

"Go to the training hall, right? I'll be there in a minute."

Hiashi nodded, and turned away.

She stretched, and changed into more comfortable clothing before flickering into the hall.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes," she bit out.

He lurched forward, a finger already reaching for her heart.

She slapped his strike away and countered.

He leaned out of reach and snapped back, blow after blow coming her way.

The two continued to dance around each other's attacks, deadly strikes always barely missing their targets.

"You're getting much better," Father commented.

She jumped back from a kaiten and took a breath. "Of course. I'm trying not to die, after all."

She struck out, and father wove behind her, and pressed a palm on her back.

A surge of chakra pulsed out, and she slammed into the floor.

"Get up. You must be better than this."

She staggered to her feet, the sensation of pain still fogging her perception and rendering the world into blurry images.

She blinked away tears and assumed a fighting stance again.

He pushed out, and she could see it this time: a column of pure chakra approaching fast.

She made the same motion, and pushed out.

The two waves crashed against each other and dissipated.

He dashed in, and she saw a faint outline of eight trigrams.

Father began to strike, and Hinata forced herself to keep up with the barrage of blows.

The "Eight Trigrams" family of techniques was a series of techniques where each set of blows- two, four, eight, sixteen, and so on- were completed in the same amount of time as the previous, resulting in an exponential increase in speed throughout its completion.

Two, four, eight, sixteen- she thought, while slapping the strikes away.

Thirty-two, Sixty-four- she magnified her own speed to match him, chakra flowing out of her, almost like she'd activated one of the Eight Gates.

Unlike what she'd thought, Father did not stop at the standard sixty-four strikes, and continued.

She blocked with reckless adrenaline pumping through her body.

Chakra, like a shield, helped deflect his blows, but she was still overrun.

With a silent roar of defiance, her perception slowed even further.

Flow. That is the secret behind the Gentle Fist.

She pushed Father's arms away and pushed her hand to his heart.

At the same time, he'd placed his palm on her temple.

They both withdrew their hands, and Hinata hit the floor.