Chapter 17

Sasuke huffed. "This is taking us way longer than it should. Why can't we just infuse our lungs with chakra and enhance how much oxygen we pull in?"

Kakashi gave a sidelong glance. "Doing that right now is both unhealthy and a chakra drain. Besides, you're already doing it a little bit. It's better for your body to acclimate rather than using chakra to artificially pressurise the air in your lungs for use. You'll have to eventually face the altitude sickness of Kumo eventually, you know. It's all mountains from here."

They'd been venturing through the mountainous craggy land known as the land of Lightning for the past few days or so. True to its name, the land of Lightning had monstrous lightning storms.

While Konoha and Kumo weren't exactly far away, it was just across the short end of the great sea, the frequent thunderstorms made the mountains nearly impassable.

While the rain was nothing compared to the unending, torrential downpour of Ame or the frequent drizzles, hurricanes, and storms of Kiri, Kumo had some pretty nasty storms. The rocks were too slippery, and their compositions were full of highly conductive metals like copper and aluminium. As such, lightning would frequently strike near the paths they took, and if it didn't shock them (literally), the thunderclap would obliterate their eardrums. Even with chakra resistance, the sound would still be far too loud to be worth the time saved.

No. Better to wait out the storm.

But they had a lucky streak going. Rain had not come for them since two days ago, and he'd decided that they'd rush while they were ahead, and altitude sickness from going from mountaintop to the base and then up another mountain was starting to set in.

Really, it was no wonder that very few Konoha Jonin had volunteered their students for the exams this time around.

"Is it really that time of year again?" Kakashi whispered to Genma.

The jonin shrugged and idly chewed on his senbon. "Yeah."

The Hokage interlocked his fingers. "The Chunin selection exams are being held in Kumogakure this year, in a month." A Hyuga clenched her fist and grit her teeth. "That being said, which of you would like to volunteer your Genin to journey to the land of Lightning? First to answer will be the Jonin responsible for training the newest Genin. Step up."

Kakashi, Asuma, and Kurenai all stepped to face the Hokage, along with a few others Kakashi didn't care to remember. They got the rank fair and square, but were solidly middle of the pack. Nowhere near good enough to go on his radar. All in all, the Hokage called up about ten Jonin to the front.

"Remember, in order for the cell to be considered, they must first have undertaken sixteen missions. But if that requirement is met, then it is up to you to decide whether or not they should take these exams. Kakashi, you may go first."

Kakashi made the seal of confrontation, although no harm was meant behind it. "I, Kakashi Hatake, am the Jonin sensei responsible for Team number Seven, composed of Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, and Sayuri Uchiha. I vow that all three of them are ready for the Chunin Selection examinations."

Kurenai did the same as her senior. "I, Kurenai Yuhi, am the Jonin sensei tasked with Team number Eight, composed of Hinata Hyuga, Kiba Inuzuka, Sakura Haruno, and Shino Aburame. I too vow that all four of them are ready for the Chunin selection exams."

Asuma faced the Hokage. "I, Asuma Sarutobi, am the Jonin sensei responsible for Team number Ten. Comprising Choji Akimichi, Ino Yamanaka, and Shikamaru Nara, I also vow that these three are ready."