Chapter 40 : Deal

"Aiden," he called out as soon as he enters the private space of the balcony.

"You called?" Aiden came out from the shadows as he let out a tired yawn.

He manages to free himself from the sleeping Errissa, on time to change his attire to attend a tiring ball.

"What do you think about her?" Alaric silently asks, as his personal knight is guarding the balcony they are in, preventing anyone to listen to their conversation.

"Who?" Aiden leans on the railing enjoying the frosty wind that blew past them.

"The lady in white."

"Ah? Her..." Aiden muttered with a frown on his lips.

"What? What is it?" Alaric asks as he elevates his left eyebrow.

Aiden let out a sigh before he caresses his hair, he can still remember vividly the way her aura took over the room during that time.

"She was not called a Saintess for nothing, that is for sure," he commented.

"She is that powerful, huh? What about her connection with his majesty?"

"I don't know... last I heard, his majesty is interested in making her one of his concubines."

Alaric let out a weary sigh, he fully knows how much his father busy himself with his concubines. It was a miracle that he and his sister are the only children born to this bloodline. But now that he thinks of it... is it really a miracle to be born with such a father?

He has witnessed the way, his mother, the Queen, stays up all night stressing out how to fix the image of the king and how to prevent any damage to the Kingdom. Their marriage was only a political marriage to establish the power of the King. Especially, after the King made a princess from the Fara Kingdom to be his concubine... before he lost interest in her and ended up eliminating her.

A war almost sparks up because of that, if it weren't for the Queen taking over and fixing the problem right away. They lost one territory just to prevent them from starting a war. It's better to keep their people alive and be part of another kingdom, rather than making them suffer from participating in a vicious war. Besides, that territory originally was part of the Fara Kingdom before it was conquered by the Alinac Kingdom.

Yet, the King never learns from his mistakes and continues to gather young ladies that he finds attractive. It was a good thing that he was not interested in Lianne, or else Alaric will not hesitate to overthrow him. Not that he was not preparing a plan for that. Right now, the King still holds the most authority, aside from the Queen, thanks to his backing... the corrupted aristocrats.

He is still preparing a way to weed them out, right after his marriage.

"Will she pose a danger to our plan?"

Aiden is also part of the alliance that he is forming. He needs his help to weed out the corrupt aristocrats within the kingdom. Alongside the future Archduke, Silver, and the future Duke of the Silvercolt house... Ishiki. The Silvercolt house is the owner of the largest mining cave in the Kingdom and the one manipulating the business economy behind the scene. Ishiki is currently away on a task he assigned to him.

Thus the reason why he is maintaining a close relationship with them, despite knowing that they are all interested in his fiancee.

"She will... unless we find a way to keep her busy. I think she is interested in that woman."

"That woman?" Alaric asks in confusion.

"Ah? You know... that woman. Erri-- Ahem! Lia's sister," Aiden stutter as his ears visibly turn red before he glances away from Alaric's stare.