Chapter 50 : The Cardinal

Errissa's POV

Is this really the right decision? I feel like I merely have stepped into a place where things will get more troublesome.

I know I have already agreed to this. And I know what I must do the moment I enter this place yet...

"Are you alright my lady?" I hear Sara whisper beside me as Auntie continues to lead us to the main residence.

The Temple is almost as large as a Count's territory, with three prayer buildings. One is open for the public, one for the worshippers, and the last one for the Saintess and the Cardinal.

The highest position that is overseeing the whole Temple is the Cardinal. The Saintess is the sole exception when it comes to following the Cardinal's orders. There are other healers in the Temple that are assisting the Saintess.

"Yes, don't worry Sara. How about you? Are you not regretting your decision?" I respond to Sara.

"No, I like being with my lady the most! And I have already made up my mind as my lady's loyal servant," she answers enthusiastically with a beaming smile on her lips.

I gave her a smile as we soon enter the main residence.

Sara... I will make sure you won't get caught with my mission here. I will make sure I can protect you this time around.

Glancing down at the bracelet on my wrist, before taking a deep breath. I will be fine... I know he can help me when I need him. I will... believe his promise.

I have managed to talk to Aiden right before I enter the trial room.

"Aiden!" I gasp in surprise when someone appeared right in front of me.

I am currently in the waiting room that brother Rian prepared for me while we are waiting for the trial to begin. I can hear from here the sound of voices that are waiting for the trial.

"Are you alright?" he asks as he removes the hood that was covering his face.

"I should be the one to ask you that. Are you alright? Did you get punished because of me?"

"...You don't have to worry about that. What matters is the trial... don't be too nervous. All you need to do is to take deep breaths and never allow them to see any expression on your face. If they detect even a hint of weakness from you, then this plan will take a wrong turn."

I gulp from hearing his advice. This trial is important for all of us. Though I have no idea whether Prince Alaric has already made sure the judge will be on our side or not. But... if I allow the nobles who are all attending here to discover even a slight moment of weakness from me. Then there is a chance that the Trial will go on for days. We need this trial to end today and today only.

"Will you be there?"

He let out a sigh after hearing my question before lowering his head.

"I am not allowed to leave the Tower by the order of his highness. But I will hide myself to see through this until the end. And... I am sorry."

I blink my eyes in surprise, I think this is the first time I heard him apologize.

"What are you apologizing for?" Is it because he can't appear publicly during the Trial?

"..." my eyes widen in surprise when he places his forehead on my shoulder.

There is a bit of space between us, and the way he is leaning on me is a bit uncomfortable for him. Just imagine a tall guy leaning on a short person's shoulder while standing still. Uh, did I even properly describe the situation or not?