Chapter 85 : Pledge Of Loyalty

Why am I here...?

I glance beside me where Aiden is casually sitting on the tiles of the roof.

Yes... we are currently on the rooftop overlooking the Temple grounds. Aiden teleported us here to 'comfort' me, or so he said.

I was surprised to find myself leaning on him for comfort when it was Lael I always looked for whenever I needed someone. But I supposed Aiden is the next best thing given that Lael is not here by my side.

Gosh... It's been almost a year since I last saw him and yet here I am still thinking of him. I can feel my heart aching for him... longing to see him again.

Still, I got to admit... seeing the night sky up close can be comforting. Though I wish it was Lael sitting beside me.

"Are you feeling fine now?" I heard Aiden ask as he shifted his attention from staring at the Temple ground to me.

"Yeah... Thank you for earlier," I respond quietly as I stare at the twinkling stars of the night sky.

Silence took over us as we both continue to stare at the night sky. It won't be long before the quietness of the night will be filled with screams of terror. And I cannot wait for it to happen.

"Are you not going to ask why I was crying earlier?" I spoke breaking the silence.

"I won't ask if you don't want to tell me about it. But... if you need help, I'm here. You can request my help anytime," he answers in a low voice as he places his hand above mine.

I felt my hand jolt in surprise from the sudden touch, yet I let him be. I never thought I would find myself so close to him like this.

Out of all the lives, I have lived, this is the first time I have gotten so close to him. I cannot believe it took me to lose my memories to be able to be this close to this man. It's funny how losing one's memories will change a person drastically.

Should I be thankful to be able to witness this side of him for once? And not the side where he is either trying to imprison me or trying so hard to protect me by abducting me out of the prison. I never understand what is going on with his mind nor will I be able to understand even in the future.

Well, one thing is for sure, he is nowhere near Lael when it comes to certain things. Lael can be a gentle puppy who will follow all my silly plans without question. Yet he can be ruthless to his enemy, and he will not allow anyone to harm what is under his protection. He also has that alluring side to him that he never notices. It's a pleasing thing I am the only one who can see that side of him.

I know he is probably frustrated that I did not allow him to help me this time around. He is probably itching to run here and save me from all these troublesome people. But I cannot allow him to be part of this plan... not now. Or else he will fall under her control again.

I need him for something bigger than this. And besides, the walls that Alaric and Aiden have built around them will not crumble if I will not be placed in a fragile position. I knew I could count on the guards' hate for me to set me in a such vulnerable position.

I glance back to the man sitting beside me and to his hand which is still warming mine.

He is...

I must admit... I indeed love this man's face. I think I fall for his face during our first life. It was when I was rejected by Prince Alaric for the first time. I was filled with rage and embarrassment that I tried to ruin Alaric's life back then. Thus, it led me to be imprisoned.