I

The Manberg castle had a dimly lit, damp floor, and most importantly, a strong stench of bourbon, or at least it did whenever Princess Elaine walked around

The Manberg castle had a dimly lit, damp floor, and most importantly, a strong stench of bourbon, or at least it did whenever Princess Elaine walked around. She was always seen wandering around in the evening, and most of the castle workers agreed it was because she was avoiding the king for dinner, and while she couldn't tell them whether or not that was correct, it was. She and her father didn't always get along, and the young Prince didn't always get along with the king, but who did? He wasn't liked by the people of the kingdom, or anybody else for that matter; the only person who could stand him was a man named Alex, whom the king's children referred to as Quackity.

Elaine walked through the lowest part of the castle, heading towards the gate to make her way into the gardens, her brother following behind. "Toby! Are you coming?"
The girl shouted to the boy, who jogged to catch up to her. "I'm right here!" He snapped back in a sassy manner, linking arms with her. The two did this often, avoid their father and sneak off for a picnic in the gardens, right by the lake where a raft of ducks usually await the pair. "Who do you think he dines with? Dad, I mean, do you think it's Quackity?" The boy spoke, turning to face the elder. "Probably not, he probably doesn't even dine in the hall anymore Tobs, he probably sits in his crappy little office with his whiskey." She murmured as she continued to walk, looking down at her feet. Toby fell silent at that and didn't speak again until they reached the lake, he sat down first as a duck sat down in his lap, he patted his head, laughing as he looked up at his sister. Elaine smiled, lowering herself to the ground as she placed the picnic basket on the ground, opening up the top as she took out a sandwich, starting to eat straight away, clearly extremely hungry.

The siblings sat in comfortable silence as they ate, admiring as the sun began to set, watching the ducks. "You know.. we've been invited to a ball." The princess turned to face her younger brother, who quirked a brow as he pulled a sandwich from his mouth. "Oh? Where? Who?" She smiled gently, her head cocking to the side as she knew he'd be excited. "The Antarctic." The boys face lit up as he dropped his sandwich, tackling the girl into a bear hug. "I get to see him? Really!?" She nodded her head at the boys excitement. "2 days, we leave in 2 days, be sure to tell the tailor what you want." She sat up, slightly pushing the boy off her, him looking up at her. "Where are you going?" She smiled softly as she stood up, leaving the basket. "To talk to Dad, I'll see you in the morning Toby." Elaine began walking back to the castle, hearing her brother shout 'goodnight!'

The princess sighed as she listened to her shoes echo in the corridors, heading towards her fathers office, she raised her fist to the door and hesitated before lightly knocking on the door. "Who is it?" She winced at the man's harsh tone. "Me, Elaine.. Dad.." she pushed the door open slightly, seeing the horned man, leaned far back in his chair with 9 bottles on his desk and one in hand. "What do I owe the pleasure?" The man cackled, leaning forwards at the sight of her. "I just.. wanted to talk to you about the ball."
"What of it?"
"Well.. obviously we've been invited, myself and Toby, you.. weren't invited but I'm sure you expected that.. I just.. wanted to remind you that we're going."
"Is that it?"
"Yes, I'll be on my way." She curtsied and turned around, beginning to leave.
"Wait. I need you to do something for me."
"What?"
"I want you to find information, plans, anything of use to me.. I want to get rid of that damn kingdom for good, the same way I did with L'manberg, I want it gone." The man raised his fist, slamming it onto the table, his eyes burning holes into his daughters back. Silence fell over the room, the only sound the faint ticking of an old clock.
"Can you do that for me, Elaine."
"I'll do my best.." she nodded then left the room, heading up to her own, when she reached it, she sat down at her own desk and began to scheme, she had no idea how she was supposed to achieve what her father expected from her, but she was definitely going to try..

( first chapter done, I know it's sorta short but it's about to get a hell of a lot longer )