S1 E5: The Girl in the Flower Dress

2012 The BUS

"Ich weiß, Mama, aber ich war sehr beschäftigt" (I know mum, but I've been busy), Joy was stood in her bunk on the phone to her mother, she was enjoying the rare moment of calm to relax, however her tranquility was broken when Ward appeared at her door, he goes to speak but is stopped by the blonde raising a finger, "Mama, ich muss los, sag Papa, dass ich ihn und dich lieb habe. Tschüss" (mum, I've got to go, tell dad I love him and I love you. bye), she slid her phone into her back pocket looking at Ward, "what's up?"

The mans eyes scanned her chest through the sheer top before he coughed, "erm, we've got a mission", he pointed to planning room and then followed the medic as she passed him.

When joy gets there she joins her two friends around the table, watching Coulson start the briefing, "Chan Ho Yin. Just a struggling street performer until a few years ago, when Mr. Chan began to exhibit moderate pyrokinetic abilities"

Fitz looks to the man, "so what gave him powers?"

"It's still under investigation, but Chan did live near the decommissioned Wan Tai Nuclear Plant when it caught fire. To our knowledge, no other nearby residents have exhibited similar traits"

Simmons is the next to question, "so, how did we find out about him?"

May looks to the trio, "Informants saw him lighting torches in a street show, with his pinkie", Joy nods her head, whilst Coulson continues on.

"Bought it to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s attention. We told him to keep his abilities under wraps. He's been on The Index ever since"

Skye looks around the team, "the Index?"

"It's a list", the hacker looks to Joy, "S.H.I.E.L.D. created it to keep track of people and objects with power"

The answer seemed to shock Skye, whose eyes widen at the girl, "Wait! What? How many are there? Are you saying there are more people-", before she can even finish, May is shaking her head.

"Not many"

"Well, enough to keep a list"

Coulson looks at the newest girl, "a short list, meant to protect them"

Ward, as Skyes S.O., decided to give her some more insight, "Though in rare cases S.H.I.E..L.D. has had to take action", the girl looks at him.

"Action against objects or people?", the team all give her flat looks, "Well that's drastic with a side of creepy. How are they monitored? Tapped phone lines, satellite surveillance, body probes in dark, unpleasant places?"

Simmons and Joy grimace while Fitz shakes his head with a huff, "body probes?", he looks to Coulson, "Now, that's ridiculous. S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't do that", the older man gives no indication of disagreement, "we don't do that, do we?"