Chapter 4: Sweet Persuasion

???: "Ah, it seems I am last to attend. My most profuse apologies for my tardiness. You must be Y/N? I have heard much about you from both Tohma and Sayu."

???: "Kamisato Ayaka

???: "Kamisato Ayaka. Delighted to make your acquaintance."

Y/N: ". . ."

Tohma: "I'm sorry milady, but it seems your timing is rather unfortunate. We... well, I may have accidentally upset our new friend here whilst trying to get them to wait for your arrival."

Ayaka: "Oh? Is that so...? In that case, may I plead that you instead direct your anger towards myself. It was I that asked Tohma to keep you entertained until my arrival after all."

Y/N: ". . . why?"

Ayaka: "Hmm? I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question?"

Y/N: "Why did you set a little kid ninja to spy on me as I lay in bed, recovering from injury. Why did you have that same ninja withhold returning my things to me despite having them in her possession for several days. Why does some big shot with an Estate and an exclusive Tea House have any interest in me. Why me?"

Yoimiya: "Hey Y/N, you don't have to get so heated. We're all friends here after all!"

Y/N: ". . ."

"They're no friends of mine!" is what I wanted to say... but I feel that may be going too far in the moment. Fortunately, I was able to hold myself back. But I feel like the atmosphere that Ayaka brought in with her arrival also helped to temper my rage... she certainly has a certain poise to her words as well as her stance that seemed to soothe the antagonistic feelings coursing throughout this room.

Ayaka: "I see... when you say it like that, I can't help but agree."

Tohma: "m–Milady?"

Ayaka: "From your point of view, I must appear to be quite a contemptible person, no? Perhaps I played too heavy a hand? I must admit that I was very much interested in meeting you... But perhaps my interest had clouded my better judgement, and I should not have been so forceful for this encounter to occur? I hope this does not soil your impressions of me or my clan too poorly."

Y/N: "... You keep saying sorry. But you've yet to give any context past some random interest you've placed into meeting me. What exactly do you want from me?"

Ayaka: "!! ... I see. Please, forgive me. It is simply how I am used to interacting with others during business negotiations due to a mistake on my part. But I see that you are quite unlike these others."

She still hasn't said anything of any actual usefulness to me, but she managed to squeeze another apology in... Is it even worth sticking around...? I feel like I'll be sat here for hours before she finally spurts out whatever she has on her mind!